Thread: Commercial Harvest Results are listed as confidential?

Exclamation Commercial Harvest Results are listed as confidential?

http://csfish.adfg.state.ak.us/newsr...ies=400&num=10

Scroll down to the Bering River District...

BERING RIVER DISTRICT: The Bering River District is closed for the remainder of week 24. Harvest from the last period is confidential.

Anyone have an idea why?

Moderators, wasn't sure where to put this one...move it if you feel it should be somewhere else.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

The data is usually deemed confidential when there are only a few landings (deliveries) made. I'm not sure exactly what the threshold is but I think it's under 5.

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    The data is usually deemed confidential when there are only a few landings (deliveries) made. I'm not sure exactly what the threshold is but I think it's under 5.
    Ahhh...to keep the amount of money made private?

Example:

4 landings yield 34K fish at 7lbs per fish equals 238K lbs at $2/lb results in $476K

Is this what the "confidential" is protecting?

AKArcher

That's one heck of an example!

It would also be confidential if it was 34 fish. The intent is to keep it confidential if it would be possible to determine what an individual fisher caught.

Perhaps Nerka can chime in here and better explain the rationale.

in federal catch, I think it's 3 or more to be not listed as confidential.

AkArcher I think it has more to do with fishing info period. Say I know only 3 boats Bering river. Well if I knew when they left to start fishing, How much total was caught with 3 boats, and when it was delivered......well I'd know where they fished, how the fishing was, and if I should scoop that spot next year or maybe tomorrow.

I will try to find the reg language that spells it all out.

Default interesting

bad link, and can't delete my entire post, so this is now it. lol. This is a tough and great question Akarcher. I just spent an hour looking at NEPA links and CFRs, but can't find many good links to stuff that is plainly worded.

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    in federal catch, I think it's 3 or more to be not listed as confidential.

AkArcher I think it has more to do with fishing info period. Say I know only 3 boats Bering river. Well if I knew when they left to start fishing, How much total was caught with 3 boats, and when it was delivered......well I'd know where they fished, how the fishing was, and if I should scoop that spot next year or maybe tomorrow.

I will try to find the reg language that spells it all out.
    Thanks, akbrownsfan...for some reason, 4 is sticking in my mind as the threshold of confidentiality for ADFG, but I could be wrong. Dr. Nerka? Paging Dr. Nerka...

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    Thanks, akbrownsfan...for some reason, 4 is sticking in my mind as the threshold of confidentiality for ADFG, but I could be wrong. Dr. Nerka? Paging Dr. Nerka...
    For State of Alaska Fisheries it is 3 and under is confidential.

Default Alaska is 3 and under

When I looked at data to report on the set net catch I was informed that I needed to combine 4 or more permits to keep individual catch records confidential per State law. I am not sure if there is a magic number or that the permit combination assures that records cannot be used to generate an individuals income. Anyway it was 4 or more permits needed to be combined.

The rationale for individual catch records being made private are many - from the competition issue, potential income being revealed for use by other individuals in lawsuits or legal proceeding, and some other issues. An individual can volunteer to release his catch data and a judge can order the release. The State cannot by State law.

Thanks to all who have chimed in on this issue. With all of the talk about conservation both on halibut and now salmon I have started to parse the data and look for interesting facts. This was a big flashing oddity, so I wanted to get to the bottom.

Thanks again!

AKArcher

Quote Originally Posted by AKArcher View Post
    Ahhh...to keep the amount of money made private?

Example:

4 landings yield 34K fish at 7lbs per fish equals 238K lbs at $2/lb results in $476K

Is this what the "confidential" is protecting?
    As long as F&G has the landing numbers to regulate the fishery that's all that counts. Its none of anyone's business what a individual fisherman caught, maybe they should post to the public what every carpenter, plumber, shop owner makes for everyone to see??? Yeah just be able to call and get anybodies tax return because someone just want to know someone else business !!!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Easy Potbuilder...

Please read the whole thread before you start getting all huffy about one post on the thread... your post resembles an editorial in the NY Post about something a republican said in a dialogue...taken COMPLETELY out of context.

I simply asked why something was listed as confidential...

Then after the first response I gave the example you quoted to ensure I was understanding the first response.

Following the next six posts, I thanked everyone for clarifying what the "confidential information" meant and why it was used.

No one is being nosey here... unless you count me being nosey into the states reporting methods. I am surely not digging into anyone's personal business.

AKArcher