Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PWS Black Bear Hunt

Default PWS Black Bear Hunt

My friend Gregg, who I served in Iraq with ask me if I would take him and his father on a Black bear hunt. I had shared with him my many adventures chasing Blackies out in PWS. I told them to be ready for rain and more rain. Well, I should have had them bring sunscreen. We had incredible weather, clear skies and light winds for most of our hunt. The fair weather also meant that many people were out also enjoying this spectacular spring and chasing bears as well. We ran out with flat seas and blue skies, we packed heavy and I was going to enjoy a HEAVY camp for a change, no MH this trip.

We dropped the shrimp pots on the way into camp and arrived at high tide and unloaded and got camp squared away. After a short nap we ran out and pulled some pots to get shrimp for dinner. We grilled up some steaks and added a basket of fresh shrimp to go with it.

After dinner we got our gear ready and hooked up the Jet Ranger and pulled it to the hunting area.

We loaded up and started working the shoreline.

We spotted a breeding pair and moved in, the wind changed and they winded us. We decided to wait for a while to see if they would come back out. Before long we spotted a nice boar feeding in the trees and moved in. We glassed him over real good and decided he was a good first bear for Gregg. We moved in and got to with in a 100 yards, Gregg fired one round from his 338 and his first bear was down. We got him dressed and headed back to camp.

Because of the warm weather we had to run his hide back to town and get it to the taxidermist. We hunted to next few nights and did not have any luck. The entire area was turning green and the bears were getting harder to see in the dense brush, I decided to set up a ground blind on a well used trail and see if we could get Jim AKA Pop his first bear.

Pop has only started hunting recently, and was not confident shooting long distances. As soon as Pop got in the blind he started coughing, he tried to cough one in for almost an hour. Finally he stopped coughing, not 15 minutes later a boar walks right down the trail and looks into the blind at 11 steps. Gregg is saying “take him” “shoot him” Pop finds him in the scope and fires. The bear runs a short distance and Pop has his first bear.

It was a nice boar with a white blaze. He had a skull of 18 and 12/16th. We pack him up and Pop carried him out to the Jet Ranger for a boat ride to town.

We spent the next days fishing, camping and sharing Alaska with good friends.

A few more to share.

Steve

Default Awesome Hunt

As usual Steve--your photos and hunting adventures are awesome. Thanx for sharing--being many miles away from Alaska right now the best I can do is live the hunt thru others. Your postings never fail to make me feel like I am right there in the great land soaking it all up... thanx for sharing your hunting prowess and little piece of heaven with your friends also---as you know, it only increases the overall enjoyment and experience of the hunt...

Smile

Steve thanks for sharing that adventure with all of us, looks like you all had another outstanding trip chasing blackies in PWS!

Very nice, congrats. Can I go next year?

Default Great post

Awesome pics and nicely detailed narration. Glad your buddies were able to score alot of what PWS has to offer - bears, fish, shrimp, and some of the most breathtaking views in the world! Great job!

Great story and pictures, Steve. We were planning to make out your way, but did make it to the eastern side. Perhaps next spring.

Pete
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Good job Steve! The PWS produced some great bears this year!

Thanks for sharing. Great pics and story.

Another great post with fantastic photos....very enjoyable read & a perfect hunt to share with friends.

Default Trouble

Dang it Steve, now you went and did it! Now I'll be scheming ways I can bring steaks on my remote hunts, those babies are making my mouth water right now!

Great pics and great hunt, the weather gods took good care of you this year!

We ate like kings, hard to beat the view from the dinner table too. Tried out my new dutch oven and made up some fresh muscles.

Fine dinning...

Thumbs up Right on

WOW! What a great story Steve. Congrats on the bears.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

lol man them rolls got me wantin' to go hunting with you steve!! nice job!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Steve you are killing me with all the great looking food! We need you to come over here and do some cooking for us, the DFAC is slacking here. How did the mussels turn out? I have often wondered about them just never brave enough to give them a go.

Great food makes a great trip even better. Nice Steve. Real nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast