Thread: When to dip Kasilof re: comm fishing

Default When to dip Kasilof re: comm fishing

I seem to remember last year there were some rules adopted that allowed some definite hours/days for dipnetters when the commercial fisherman would not be allowed to fish. Is this still the case and can someone tell me when those times are for the Kasilof? I realize there is a generalized schedule of comm days, which can increase anytime with EO's, but I'm wondering if there are actual times one could know for sure they wouldn't have the nets out.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Thumbs up windows

What you are talking about are called windows. Depending on the run size, they are 24 hour or 36 hours where comfish are not suppose to fish. During the last southcentral BOF meeting, the BOF gave Comfish managers looser restrictions where now they possibly can go out of those windows and declare emergency openers for the commercial fleet. Commercial fishing is technically Mondays and Thursdays, w/o any eo's. Tuesdays and Fridays are the technical times that you will have a window. Get down there thursday night and by friday tides, you should have some fish if the setnetters are not allowed to play too. Usually it takes about three tides to re-load the beaches with fish. Hope that explains a little. I believe I'm right but I am also on pain pills due to recent surgery so I hope my days are not mixed up too. Happy trails!!!

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    but I am also on pain pills due to recent surgery so I hope my days are not mixed up too. Happy trails!!!
    Yeah, I hope so too! LOL

My plan pretty much was to head down Thursday night of the opener and fish Fri-Sat...hopefully the fishing is good, but not SO good that they do an EO that quickly.

Thanks for the info.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Default Kasilof River Historical Peak Run Timing

A number of years ago I did a ten-year analysis of peak numbers on the Kasilof River. A web version of this can be found at:

http://home.gci.net/~reetz/kasilof/kasilof.htm

Make sure you click the tabs on the bottom left side of the page for different graphical views.

~tr

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    A number of years ago I did a ten-year analysis of peak numbers on the Kasilof River. A web version of this can be found at:

http://home.gci.net/~reetz/kasilof/kasilof.htm

Make sure you click the tabs on the bottom left side of the page for different graphical views.

~tr
    Whew! Some of those graphs make my head spin! It's amazing how much energy I/we can put into hoping to predict our success, to plan an outcome. I'm suddenly reminded of Whitman's "The Learned Astronomer."

"...Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself,
    In the mystical moist Peninsula-air, and from time to time,
    Cast'd out my line in perfect silence toward the fish."

Apologies to WW.

And thanks for the charts!

Smile Kasilof River Historical Peak Run Timing

Quote Originally Posted by nickster View Post
    Whew! Some of those graphs make my head spin! It's amazing how much energy I/we can put into hoping to predict our success, to plan an outcome. I'm suddenly reminded of Whitman's "The Learned Astronomer."

"...Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself,
    In the mystical moist Peninsula-air, and from time to time,
    Cast'd out my line in perfect silence toward the fish."

Apologies to WW.

And thanks for the charts!
    The short of it is the old rule "3rd week in July."
    Works on the Kenai, too.

~tr

Indeed, but there are those last two weeks in June, which I have off, and my smoker is complaining of lack of use! I'll definitely head down later in July as necessary, at least to wet a line if not to dip a net.

End of June is great, too. Seems like that's when the huge bunch hit last year.

Our preferred method is with a Waveeater Class 12' Smokercraft with a 6hp kicker.

Check out the Kenai load at:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...pictureid=5311

~tr