Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food for 7 day backpack hunt-?

Default Food for 7 day backpack hunt-?

So what do you guys pack to eat?

Default Depends....

For me it kind of depends. If im only going 5 miles or so over pretty flat ground i generally pack heavier food items like stuff to make spagetti, fruits, stuff to snack on, and plenty of drink mixes. If Im going on a death march, I mean sheep hunt, i bring only the bare necessities. I like roman and the Mountain house pro packs. I will also throw in a couple of powerbars for each day. Jerky is another light snack that I like to bring.

mountain house or other dehydrated meal
    trail mix with nuts, dried fruit and chocolate
    a salami stick or two and hard cheeses that I will eat the first half of my trip
    peanut butter, nutella
    fruit/energy bars for breakfast
    if i am fishing at all, some olive oil, salt and pepper to cook up fish
    chocolate, snickers bars, etc

that's all i can think of right now

Default I seem go a little heavy on food

I like to eat real food so my food weight may be a little more than some guys.

Breakfast:
    Granola with dried/dehydrated fruit and chopped prunes and powdered milk already mixed in. Add hot water, or cold. Instant oatmeal just doesn't cut it for me. Coffee using the little bags. I may try some mtn house breakfasts this year though.

Daytime eats:

Whole Wheat bagels. Salami and cheese or Peanut butter with honey mixed in and jerky. Powerbars (or something like them). Homemade no bake energy bars made with oatmeal, dark chocolate, raisins, peanut butter and butter. A little heavy but loaded with sugar, fat, carbs and energy! Recipe is attached.

Dinners:
    Mtn. House. 1 each day plus an extra or 2.

Misc.
    Powdered Gatorade. Dark chocolate saved for the sheep feast! Or to help soothe the sorrows if there is no sheep feast
    Attached Files Attached Files

I just want to quickly say how essential the powdered gatorade is....it makes all the difference in the world. Last year on the hike out with my successfully loaded pack, my camelback filled with gatorade was most of what kept me going.

Here is what I took last year sheep hunting.

--instant oatmeal packs for breakfast
    --Ramen or Mtn House for lunch and dinner
    --Clif bars and beef jerky for snacks

That was all I took last year. I did fine for 6 days. But this year I plan to add a few more items for variety, such as:

--trail mix for snacks
    --cous cous
    --possibly some of the tuna in the foil bags
    --sheep meat

Instant Mashed potatoes.

Jerky and hard candy always goes with me on all my hunts, the protein and sugar's keep me going at it hard on a daily basis. I also love Gatorade and take the powdered stuff when doing backpack hunts.
    I usually bring along the dried soups in the soft package, tomato and chicekn noodle are my 2 favorites. I hate oatmeal so I eat the Mtn House breakfasts' with a cup of joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Breakfast:
    Granola with dried/dehydrated fruit and chopped prunes and powdered milk already mixed in. Add hot water, or cold. Instant oatmeal just doesn't cut it for me. Coffee using the little bags. I may try some mtn house breakfasts this year though.
    Hey Perry,

If you haven't tried the Mtn House breakfasts yet, you may want to try them at home first...I like almost all of the Mtn House dinners, but we took the breakfasts on a hunt a few years back - I ended up eating PB&J sandwiches for breakfast, the breakfasts didn't taste as good, or maybe it was that puffed air in the morning I didn't like as much! just a thought.

Some call my menu plans in humane, but I have went for some time on 2 packs of oatmeal for breakfast, two fiber bars for snacks, and two Cliff bars for lunch, then a MTN house for dinner, with every other dinner supplemented with tortillas (3-4). For drinks the tea bag style coffee or instant single packs, along with 2-3 of the drink mix packs a day. Occasional supplements of jerky, trail mix (heavy stuff), and candy bars.

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    Hey Perry,

If you haven't tried the Mtn House breakfasts yet, you may want to try them at home first...I like almost all of the Mtn House dinners, but we took the breakfasts on a hunt a few years back - I ended up eating PB&J sandwiches for breakfast, the breakfasts didn't taste as good, or maybe it was that puffed air in the morning I didn't like as much! just a thought.
    Thanks for the heads up. I'm not sure the calories would be as high as my granola mix either. I'll check it out.

I rememeber a 3 week Boundary Water canoe trip with I was in Junior High School. Lots of Rye Crisp with Peanut Butter and Jelly. made great snacks.

Smile mountian house

You know for years I have experimented with all kinds of things like mashed potato, stuffing, homemade bag meals, etc. But now I am back to just bringing good old mountain house. The kids love it and I dont have time to screw around anymore. I did just order an alternative brand to try (packlite) because they make chili but I havent tried it yet. Once I was given a brand that was some kind of spicy asian noodle dish and it almost caused a riot in camp because everyone else was eating chili mac!!!!! (If you could find it its the bomb)
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

If you don't mind making some of your own dehydrayed meals you can have a much better variety and a lot less cost. I use the menues out of "The Backcountry Kitchen". Also I have found the recomendation in the book to make your mid day meal a big one and your nigh meal a small one to be a great idea. The thinking is that fishing and hunting are best at dawn and dusk, so why waste the most valuable hunting time cooking. Also most of the food you eat at lunch is available as energy for climbing mountians or packing meat in the evening.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

My food is exactly the same on every trip, I'm not picky about what I eat. When I say scoop I am referring to the plastic scoop that comes in a container of slim fast powder. My water bottle is marked with permanent ink for 8, 12, and 16 oz.

Breakfast:
    1. 12 oz filtered water in water bottle, add 1 1/2 scoop slimfast and 1 1/2 scoop of powdered milk, shake and drink. I premix this slimfast and powdered milk at home and put it in quart size ziplock bags. So actually I take 3 scoops out of the mix.

2. Bring a cup of unfiltered water to boil, add 2 bags of instant oatmeal with 1/2 scoop of pure powdered milk, carried in another ziplock bag.

Lunch and snacks eaten as needed throughout the day:
    1. 1 Hi-carb bar
    2. 1 Hi-protein bar
    3. 4 oz trailmix, fits exactly in a snack size ziplock bag, bags are filled at home for ease.
    4. 2 half scoops of gatorade powder for 2 16oz flavored drinks daily, the rest required is plain filtered water.

Dinner:
    1. Always a 2 person serving of Mountain House type dehydrated food. This is re-packaged at home in vacuum bags SIGNIFICANTLYreducing bulk. I just bring the 2 or 2 1/2 cups unfiltered water to boil and then add the food to the pot.

With the above the only thing ever needing washing is my quart pot and a spoon. Just wipe them off with wet moss.

Almost all of my Alaskan trips are hunting solo air drops of 5 days but I've done a few 7 and one 10 day backpack trip. I can put all of the above for 9-10 days in one Bear Resistant Food Container, 8 x 18.

Default My take.

I go solo for 8-10 days sheep hunting in a very rugged area every year.
    I think that we all try different things and keep the good stuff and dump the bad stuff.

I used to do mountain house. I then went to ramens and bear creak soups spiced up with dehydrated veggies. I now just go straight Packit Gourmet with the Raimen's that are helped out..
    Some of their stuff is expensive but the dinner's arent and they are great.

Typical day(this is a work day and not a rest day where I eat a lot less and cook more).

Breakfast-
    MLO Extreme Bar+ 3 oz carmelized nuts
    Metrx- Protein Shake Mix

Break- beef sticks(pepperoni(world kitchen) it might be cat or kangeroo meat but it tastes good. Body fortess electrolyte mix.

Lunch-
    Metrx Big Cookie Bar+ Mojo Mountain Mix bar
    2oz Salmon strips+ tortilla with peanut butter+ honey

Break-Metrx protein shake mix
    1oz wasabi almonds

Supper-
    PackIt Gourmet- Bangers+ Mash Venison Sausage dehydrated.
    Gatorade

http://www.trailcooking.com/
    I find a lot of good recipes on this site.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas

Like everybody else I use the MT house for dinners. I also like Chicken/Ramen noodles with the foil packs of chicken with some hot sauce(I even eat it at home not bad and cheap). Breakfast is 2 packs instant oatmeal with dried fruits and instant coffee. snacks trail mix or sweet and salty packs with granola bars. Also throw in gatorade packs or propel and multi vits and ibuprofren.

Default Great thread

I'll be referring to this when I pack for my sheep hunt. I was planning on Mtn house for the most part, but wasn't really looking forward to it. I think I'll mix it up a little bit with some of these ideas. Good stuff.

Default My $.01

Oatmeal and the like for breakfast along with a bagel. Powdered butter and milk, and bacon bits into most meals boost calories and flavor. I use powdered drink mix as sugar and as an additive to food.

Lunch is an all day eat; Snicker Bars have almost the same nutrition as the over priced Power bar likes and taste much better. I snack on MMs and Twig, Triscut type crackers. Lunch is always heavy but the most important to keep energy.

I made my own dinner meals, cheaper than store bought and taste loads better. I know Mountain House gets mentioned a lot here but Backpacker Pantry has a greater diverse of flavors and do actually taste OK.

Potato flakes, rice, powdered milk and butter, real bacon bits ad little weight but add calories and mass and most importantly flavor to any meal.

Pringels are a staple with all my outings. The can transforms into a trash compactor can.

I use cooking bags instead of pans.

Tip, do not fry Salmon or fish in your one and only pan, you have been warned.

When flying in, took can goods. Nothing like after a hard day and having a pot of chili or beef stew. Fried Spam sandwich on a buttered fried bagel is actually tasty. Even been known to take along a small grill top.

Default Metrix

Kaboku68

I really like your approach. There is a good combination of foods and nutritional supplements in your 7 day supply.

My splurge is Dark chocolate and smoked salmon. Everything else is good but kinda geared towards performance.

I'm gonna look into your Metrix products.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast