Thread: Got Racor filter today. Follow-up question.

Default Got Racor filter today. Follow-up question.

Has the metal bowl and bowl has a metal plug used to drain the water. Do the plug threads get coated or taped? Should I wet the o-rings with gasoline or motor oil before tightening them? No instructions and the Racor web site is less than useless. Just don't want any fuel leaks. Thanks.

Default Metal plug

Skydiver,

The plug should be a straight thread O-ring boss style fitting with a o-ring which provides the sealing. So, no thread compound or tape is needed.

It didn't come with an o-ring for that part. The plug is NTP and I don't think it would screw in far enough that it would fit up tight against an o-ring if it had one there.

Personally, I would swap out the metal bowl with a clear one so that you can monitor water accumulation. I tend to watch the bowl for the first 20 minutes or so after switching tanks or fueling up. Just a thought.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I'd prefer the clear bowl, but for safety reasons (and Coast Guard) the plastic bowls aren't allowed for inboards or stern drives. Only for outboards. Same thing for my in-line fuel filter that is upstream of my fuel flow meter. It has to be metal.

The metal bowl is for being more heat resistant than the plastic bowls. I believe the racor numbers have UL after them if its for an inboard.

Correct about the UL on the metal bowls.
    I called Racor just now and got some questions answered. For metal plug, can put on a little pipe dope or tape if I want (didn't say if I needed it). Then for the o-ring between the bottom of the filter and the metal bowl, and for the gasket on the top of the filter, I should wet the surfaces with gasoline or motor oil before I put everything together. Guess all I have to do now is to go do it. Thanks for the input.

Default I think

You need the metal bowl if it is an inboard. I think that is a Coast Guard reg.

Will

Default fuel rated tape

On a side note, you should use gasoline rated tape for any gas or diesel lines. Standard (white) teflon tape is oil based, and will dissolve over time when in contact with the fuels. If you use pipe dope, make sure it is not teflon based as well. There are several brands that are not compatable with gas or Diesel.

Didn't know about the different kinds of tape. Is the kind of tape I need something that I could pick up at someplace like Napa?

Check out Parker Industrial:
    Parker Store
    360 E. International Airport Road
    Anchorage, AK 99518
    Phone 907-561-3630
    Fax 907-561-5636

I have used them inthe past for fuel line fittings, Raycor parts, and hydraulics. They should have what you are after. I have used a sthread dope designed for fuel systems.

Lightbulb Drain valve

Not sure how the Coast Guard looks at it, but I would recommend putting in a drain valve in the bottom of that Racor instead of a pipe plug. You still want to pipe dope the threads, but you only have to do that once. Not sure what its called (maybe petcock?) but its the type of drain you would find on the bottom corner of older vehicles radiators. I also have the same set up on my exhaust manifolds. You should be able to find these at any auto supply store.
    All you gotta do then is open it for a couple of seconds into a container and take a look at what comes out. If there is water collecting in there it will be the first liquid out the hole.

Default Parker and Raycor are the same company

Second that - there's also a Parker store in Fairbanks off Van Horn Rd (dunno where you're located).

My father in law was a regional salesman for Parker and it's subsidiaries (of which Raycor is one) in MPLS for 25 years - was nice to get a case of S3213 filters and a handful of bowls as "samples" before he retired - I'll never need to buy any again

Raycor is also the OEM for Mr Funnel - another great widget to have along, I've filtered out an obscene amount of water, goo, spruce needles, hornets, etc, etc, etc as I'm filling/transferring in the field over the years. I have a small one in a HD ziploc in a bucket on board, and a big one (but not the double element kind - too big for what I need, I guess pilots like them) at the house. Cheap insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by AKExplore View Post
    Check out Parker Industrial:
    Parker Store
    360 E. International Airport Road
    Anchorage, AK 99518
    Phone 907-561-3630
    Fax 907-561-5636

I have used them inthe past for fuel line fittings, Raycor parts, and hydraulics. They should have what you are after. I have used a sthread dope designed for fuel systems.