Thread: Eureka in a Jeep?

Default Eureka in a Jeep?

How far back can one get a stock Jeep Cherokee at Eureka? Far enough to find a good campsite? Maybe somewhere near a creek? We're leaving tomorrow (Thursday).

I'm not concerned about scratches as my Jeep has seen some serious off-roading and has the scars to prove it... I just don't want to get it stuck!

I only have one 4wheeler and my wife and dog would like to join me this weekend. She's going to be driving the Jeep, and she doesn't have too much 4x4ing experience, so I don't want to take it anywhere too difficult.

Thanks.

Not a good idea if you are not equipped with a winch and a friend with a decent 4X4. If you go in when it is dry and it rains (and it RAINS, I mean some desert like thunderstorms + sleet or hail) out there you will have a time going through the first 2 miles. Then you have some steep climbs.

If you go, the water holes are solid underneath. The braided trails around the water holes will suck you up (and give the greenies a reason to shut it down). Stay on the trail. You can probably go in to the top of Monument if it is dry. This does not mean it is a good idea. I have seen moose buggies stuck.

Mike

Default Thanks

That's the info I was looking for. Sounds too risky, and I don't want her to have to drive all the way back to Anchorage if the trail is too rough. I really don't want to PO people by getting a Jeep stuck in the middle of the trail either. I will have the wife and dog stay at home and spend all of next weekend with them.

Thanks again.

Find a better place. Lose the wheeler, just camp and fish. Summer is short.

Quote Originally Posted by zeb View Post
    That's the info I was looking for. Sounds too risky, and I don't want her to have to drive all the way back to Anchorage if the trail is too rough. I really don't want to PO people by getting a Jeep stuck in the middle of the trail either. I will have the wife and dog stay at home and spend all of next weekend with them.

Thanks again.
    Call the lodge see how dry or wet it has been. the trail going in at the gravel pit past the lodge should be ok. pretty solid trail and meets back up at four corners. another place you could go is pville you can drive the road way back and probably get a little fishing along peters creek by the road house for sure if the water has calmed down.

Quote Originally Posted by AKNUCLEARZR View Post
    Call the lodge see how dry or wet it has been. the trail going in at the gravel pit past the lodge should be ok. pretty solid trail and meets back up at four corners. another place you could go is pville you can drive the road way back and probably get a little fishing along peters creek by the road house for sure if the water has calmed down.
    Sounds like good advice on calling the road house. It has been a long time but my dads buddy drove all the way back to the Little Oshentna in a box stock diesel Scout running street tires. We just took our time and scouted every possible route with the wheelers before fording ahead in the scout. Was a fun day going back in there. Even better coming out when he blew up the tranny horsing around and had to drive out using only 1st gear. Luckly we managed to get it into a higher gear when we got back to the highway and he was able to drive it all the way back to the Valley @ like 35mph.

One thing about that trail (and many others around the state) is the main line most of the time has a hard base and some areas get full of water which looks scarry so people drive around even though it is only like 2' deep. The end result is huge unessecary bogs.

There are some very steep hills just a few miles down that trail and taking a stock vehicle is a bad idea. Add to that that your wife is driving with no experience and it's a recipe for disaster. I'd drive the Denali or someplace like that and enjoy your time together.

Remember that there have been and still are a lot of heavy equipment going in. The long climbs may have some substantial rocks in the trails.