Thread: Whittier trails?

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Default Whittier trails?

I have been told that there is a 12 mile trail in Whittier. any of you guys ever seen it or ridden it?
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

I know of only two trails- one goes up into the mountains and I know you can snow machine it (if you are fearless of avalanche) but don't know about fourwheeling.

The other is the trail that follows the shoreline out to Decision Point. So far as I know, that is a hiking/biking trail only.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I think the decision point trail must be the one my buddy is talking about. I think he found it on some map or something and that it was marked in such a way that he thinks its ok for ATV's.....

I dont really want to drive all the way there and pay for the tunnel crossing only to find out that it is a walking and biking trail only...... that would suck.

I have done a bunch of searches on this and other forum as well as google searches and I cant come p\up with any info on ATV riding in Whittier. but thanks for the info so far, and I will keep digging around.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default atv yes

I have friends that do it I won't see them till next week but will ask for details and post it when I do.
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

Thumbs up Trails in whitter

Whittier has 2 trails one that goes up to portage area it's on your right just as you come out of the tunnel. Turn right on the first road as you come out of staging area, then make a 2nd right at first place you can turn right, it takes you to the trail head, signs are posted. A 2nd trail you get to by heading toward the 1st salmon run and take the first right go till you get to the first curve in the road stop and park where you see a metal gate. That is the start of the 2nd trail. They both are for foot traffic not motorized vehicles. Both are beautiful areas to pick berries at the right time of the year. Make lots of noise while hiking these trails especially when the berries are ripe, there are lots of black bears in the areas the trails are located. I know portage pass trail is not 12 miles, I am not sure about the 2nd.

Portage Pass that tjb describes above is not an ATV trail. Since this is posted in the ATV forum, I assume that's what you're looking for.