Thread: Tazlina Lake

Default Tazlina Lake

My family and I are going camping around Matanuska Glacier next weekend. I have been looking for a lake in the area to set up camp. I found Tazlina Lake on a map, but can't seem to find any campgrounds around the lake on the net. Is there any campgrounds around the lake? If so, do they have outhouses...for the wife and kids? Is it a good/safe lake to canoe around with the family? Dose anybody suggest a better lake that is near Matanuska Glacier?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated!

Smile

There is a nice public campground with a beautiful view of Matanuska Glacier. Its on the hill above the glacer. Its so nice that its frequently full, and then there can be a lot of noise as its next to the highway and a gravel pit. But I dont know of any lakes in the area with campgrounds. There are a few lakes with fish and you could canoe like long and bonnie lakes but you would have to drive to them. Tazlina lake is a long ways away....
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Tazlina Lake has no road access and it is a reasonably advanced three to four day trip to float the Little Nelchina River to the Nelchina River to Tazlina Lake to Tazlina River, which is how most floaters access Tazlina Lake. There are no campgrounds anywhere on the route. And the water is definitely extremely unsuitable for canoeing with a family. Even with a cataraft, many portions of the trip require skill and concentration.

Tazlina lake is huge and will get really nasty in short order. I'm thinking is is not a canoe lake.

Go to Lake Louise, Weiner Lake, or Tangle Lakes.

Default lakes

At about mile 110 on the Glen HWY there is a large flat area on the right with a road going out there to the radio /cell towers on the hill, that you drive out there on to the base of the hill there are 2 lakes stocked by FISH AN GAME not much of a tent camp ground but ther are some places for a pickup/trailer/motoo get off the road lots of bugs an some of the other lakes you see there is grailing in them good luck the lakes are not that large so the wind will not be that bib of a problem [lakes North Knob an Knob under the Mat Sue, FISHING Regs]
    SID

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    At about mile 110 on the Glen HWY there is a large flat area on the right with a road going out there to the radio /cell towers on the hill, that you drive out there on to the base of the hill there are 2 lakes stocked by FISH AN GAME not much of a tent camp ground but ther are some places for a pickup/trailer/motoo get off the road lots of bugs an some of the other lakes you see there is grailing in them good luck the lakes are not that large so the wind will not be that bib of a problem [lakes North Knob an Knob under the Mat Sue, FISHING Regs]
    SID

Perfect!! Thanks!!