Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would be your dream fishing city/area?

Default What would be your dream fishing city/area?

Scenario: You want to retire to a coastal area so that you could do lots of fishing – both ocean and rivers. You own a 21 to 24 foot aluminum boat with either an outboard mounted on an offshore bracket or the same boat with a pump (you decide) so you are limited to the capabilities of this boat. What areas (or city) would be in the running for the following?
    1. Variety of fish species (salmon, halibut & other bottom fish, and crab & shrimp)
    2. Distance (miles/time) to the above species
    3. Quantity "
    4. Quality "
    5. What else?

I am leaning toward Homer, Valdez, Petersburg, and maybe one of the cities on POW. I really like Valdez but I think the distance to good halibut fishing may be a little too far for frequent fishing. What do you think?

Without a doubt my choice would be Yakutat....they've got everything, IMO...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Marquette MI.

1. Walleye/Pike/King/Silver/Steelhead/Perch/Bass/Muskie/Panfish/Whitefish

2. 15 - 20 mins in any direction

3. Lots of fish

4. Good size (low pressure)

Other - Great hunting for bear/deer/waterfowl
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Craig, in SE Alaska has good fishing.
    I like these other spots too!
    Kodiak
    Valdez
    Yakutat

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post

Fish On!
    If fishing was the only criteria. Can't argue with Yakutat.

WOW, you guys are right, I can't believe I forgot Yakutat. I have only fished the Situk river a couple of times - for Steelhead and Sockeye. I have not fished the ocean in the Yakutat area. How far, time/miles, does it take to get to good halilbut grounds in this area compared to Valdez and Homer?

30 minutes for good halibut fishing, about the same for King Fishing....sorry I can only say that, I was told I would be killed if I told more....
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

For me it would be a toss up between Kodiak and Homer. Kodiak has excellent fishing close in.

Being a Canadian my Retirement dream spot is Terrace BC.
    A short drive to the West is Prince Rupert and access to the Queen Charlottes. The area of Terrace and Smithers offers the best steelhead fishing on the planet with specimens over 40# caught and enough 20 to 30 pounders to make life interesting!!!!
    This area is home to world renown rivers such as The Kispiox, Bulkley, Morice and Skeena. If you fish Steelhead you have heard of them.

Quote Originally Posted by critrgitr View Post
    I can't believe I forgot Yakutat.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post

Fish On!
    And good surfing too!!!!!

Yep, I'd have to go with a couple of the aforementioned:

#1 = Kodiak.
    #2 = Yakutat
    (qualifier: I've only visited Kodiak a few times, but have lived seasonally in Yakutat)

For me, Kodiak rules over Yak by a long shot, largely for quality of living, but also for the fishing. Kodiak is a much bigger and much more...uh.."developed" town than Yakutat. Plus, there's more road system and more stream fishing opportunities. Yes, yes, the Situk is an amazing little river, but for me variety is just as important, and with roadside freshwater fishing, Kodiak has more opportunities than Yakutat.

But IMHO Yakutat has the edge in 3 criteria: the productive fishing in the ocean waters is very close to town; the mind-blowing scenery; and, road-accessible (i.e. Situk) steelhead.

Fun topic.

Anybody consider Chignik??

Diego Garcia

Wahoo, Marlin, Tuna, Grouper, Snapper all the big time fun Ocean Fish...

Think you can head out about 2-5 minutes and be in Marlin Country.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by critrgitr View Post
    WOW, you guys are right, I can't believe I forgot Yakutat. I have only fished the Situk river a couple of times - for Steelhead and Sockeye. I have not fished the ocean in the Yakutat area. How far, time/miles, does it take to get to good halilbut grounds in this area compared to Valdez and Homer?
    Just 30 min. from the dock:

175#,155#,150#,125#,90#,& 70# respectively. Started @ 8:30am done by 1:00pm, dock to dock 3/25/09 .
    I'll hold on to my Bible & my Guns, you can keep the change!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tight Lines View Post
    Just 30 min. from the dock:

175#,155#,150#,125#,90#,& 70# respectively. Started @ 8:30am done by 1:00pm, dock to dock 3/25/09 .
    WOW, that is some nice butt right there!

So, only a 30 min ride for good fishing out of Yakutat, how far of a ride from the ports at Homer and Valdez?

I haven't yet fallen in love with these Alaska based fishing paradises, as listed. That is also to say that I have yet to visit! Right now I'd have to say anywhere along the Texas coast, from High Island to Padre Island National Seashore ("the last undeveloped barrier island in the world")

http://extremecoast.com/reports/reports.php <--Site is based out of Corpus Christi, Texas, my hometown.

I'm only going to use places I've been as examples, rather then reputation.

In Alaska, it'd have to be:

#1: Kodiak. Fishing for most Alaskan sportsfish is within 30 minutes, and it's not just fishing, it's GOOD fishing. Plus, it's a decent sized, mostly modern little town on a beautiful island. Down side is it never really gets warm....lol.

#2: Sitka/Ketchikan or half a dozen other little spots on the inside passage. Not quite as "civilized," but nice and good fishing, incredible surroundings. Again, down side is weather tends to be wet/chilly.

Not in Alaska:

Kailua, Hawaii. You did say retiring, and when I retire I think I'll want a break from winter, so the heat sounds good. And there is great fishing. You literally start trolling as soon as you leave the harbor. Never know where those marlin, tuna, ono (wahoo), mahi mahi (dorado), sharks are going to be. Down side to Hawaii is everything is expensive, but hey, we're used to that here, and the limited boat size the OP gave us would be a bit small for middle of the pacific swells.
    Last edited by coho slayer; 07-18-2009 at 15:59. Reason: grammar

Coho,

My parents and brother lived in St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands in the early '90s. My brother was still in high school, acquired his scub diving certification, and dunked in those swimming pool waters for spiny lobster and conch. I'd love to do that. Also would love to have a spear gun to stab my dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by Crab_n_fish View Post
    Coho,

My parents and brother lived in St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands in the early '90s. My brother was still in high school, acquired his scub diving certification, and dunked in those swimming pool waters for spiny lobster and conch. I'd love to do that. Also would love to have a spear gun to stab my dinner.
    That sounds awesome...I have a lot of retirement "plans." Not necessarily living in all those places, but I have a long list of tropical places to visit and fish.

I'd love to get my PADI cert and do some diving as well. Fresh lobster? You betcha!

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    That sounds awesome...I have a lot of retirement "plans." Not necessarily living in all those places, but I have a long list of tropical places to visit and fish.

I'd love to get my PADI cert and do some diving as well. Fresh lobster? You betcha!
    In 2002, a few months removed from the 9/11 attacks on New York, I took a plane trip to visit my parents who were stationed near Philadelphia. During that trip we visited the 9/11 "Ground Zero" site, Wall Street, where the U.S. Constitution was ratified, ya know - the usual tourist-y stuff, etc. And food-wise, among other places, we had a dinner in New Jersey. It was a five star restaurant (company perk) and I had my very first Maine Lobster....That thing was H-U-G-E....It was like a cinder block on my plate, with half of it hanging off!

One day I will find how to go after those lobsters myself.

Oregon Inlet, NC....
    Red Drum, Stripers, Flounder, Specks, Spanish, Cobia, Kings (Mackerel), and if you get into big water you get all the major gamefish... Marlin, Sailfish, Tuna, Grouper, Snapper, Wahoo. Warm weather, and you can live on the beach.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast