Thread: Coal Creek company

Default Coal Creek company

Anybody willing, and or able to do a huck and run. The hike in will not be pretty, but what the heck.
    Class IV as written in Embicks guide. The run is initially steep and supposedly drops 100 feet in about a third of a mile. There are no specific drops mentioned, but I am quite certain it will be continuous whitewater. The run is 3.5 miles long and probably has only been ran by a handful of boaters.
    I have Thursday, Friday next Monday or Tuesday near term.
    MO

Smile Talkin' 'little' Coal Creek

Quote Originally Posted by markoathout View Post
    Anybody willing, and or able to do a huck and run. The hike in will not be pretty, but what the heck.
    Class IV as written in Embicks guide. The run is initially steep and supposedly drops 100 feet in about a third of a mile. There are no specific drops mentioned, but I am quite certain it will be continuous whitewater. The run is 3.5 miles long and probably has only been ran by a handful of boaters.
    I have Thursday, Friday next Monday or Tuesday near term.
    MO
    Talkin' 'little' Coal Creek dumpin' eventually into Beluga Lake? Cool fly-out trip, but hard to get into. WE have that trip all set with logistics in and out.

or.... Coal Creek hiking up to the glacier & taking out near King Mountain - Matanuska River drainage? Be really cautious of the put in, take scouting seriously(make the extra effort) and get a feel for water levels... with a little rain it can really get moving on the steeper gradient sections. I do not recommend using your self bailing IKs... but I'd probably try a small cat!

Lots a 'Coal creeks'

Default Creekin

You would be surprised the places I have taken an IK. We are looking at much harder runs than that. Low volume steep gradient is where the IK shines, trust me.
    It would be a horrible task to drag a cat of any type up there, plus the stream is tiny.

Default Coal Creek company

I did not see a double yellow. I am going to coal creek in October I bet with my luck I will run into that crazy idiot on the mule.

Default Finally made it

Casey and I dropped down into the Matanuska,just up from the parking area, where the creek can be seen across the valley. We crossed and hiked up, river left,right side walking up, on a great trail, and crossed a couple of times when the trail ran into canyon walls, until the valley opened up. The creek was continuous class II-III, at a flow of 200-250cfs, with a couple of sections of class III+. The lower canyon section is interesting,no major drops, it has blind corners, but clean routes, friendly rock, and I really liked it. One section was very narrow less than 10 feetwide, was pretty steep, and would be a handful at higher water.
    The hike, and trip over all, was easy, and I want to repeat it next year to see what we missed upstream. (2 hours hiking upstream) Better than I anticipated, even though I am not sure if we made it to the really steep section mentioned in Embicks guide, but I will know more next year.
    I'll post a youtube when I get a chance
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Coal pics

A couple more pics,it was very hard to use the camera on the creek, which is steep with small eddies. Casey took the alpacka, I took the baylee, and both of us had fun.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Coal Creek adventure video

You should notice it's fairly steep, and twisty, in there. Higher water would make this a fun challenging section.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJaumPC9bgI