Thread: Heading to Alaska

Default Heading to Alaska

Hey,
    My father and I will be making a trip up to Alaska from Texas in Late July/Early August. We were thinking of using Piscatorial Persuits as our guide service and lodging accomodations. Have any of yall had experience with them before and if so, how was your experience? We plan on taking a few trips for Silvers and atleast 1 trip for halibut, or possibly a combo trip in the salt. For the past 3 times we have visited the Kenai Peninsula, we have always stayed at Gwins Lodge in Cooper Landing, but we are looking for a change of pace and possibly a little less expensive outting. Any other recommendations for our trip you might possibly have would be greatly appreciated

Default thumbs up

Bob Ball is a class act. I have no problem recommending him and have sent quite a few visitors his way. Fishing will always be fishing but he'll always give you his best.

Quote Originally Posted by mcelhakd View Post
    Hey,
    My father and I will be making a trip up to Alaska from Texas in Late July/Early August.
    Welcome to Alaska, feller Texan! I viewed a post you made earlier this year and it lead me to believe you are based in or near Houston (Tx)?
    From 2004-2006 I lived off Hwy 59 and 36, in the German-Czech town
    of Needville. Man, do I miss fishing the surf of Freeport/Surfside/Sargent!

And to think you live in great blue crabbing grounds drives me nuts!

My cousin and I will be up-n-down the Kenai peninsula this summer,
    either halibut fishing out of Ninilchik, clamming out of Clam Gulch area,
    fishing kenai/kasilof/russian rivers, so if we run into any good info we'll
    be sure to let you know!

Might I add, if you already know good areas to fish, and are wanting to save money, consider purchasing or renting a canoe; and, if able-bodied
    be your own guide, "Grasshopper" ...ya can even sell the canoe before leaving, even if ya must take a loss on it...just saying

Yeah, we actually live in Katy which is about 20 min west of downtown. Dissappointingly i dont make it down to the coast as often as I would like.
    From the looks of it Piscatorial Persuits prices are unbeatable in terms of price. Looks like were gonna have to clear out some of those old Digiornos from the freezer over the next few months.

Hi mcelhakd ... Glad to hear you're considering fishing with us. If you send a PM or an email our way, we'd also be happy to provide a number of references from both the local area as well as Outside for you to contact. Thanks, hope we can help you fellas out this August

Mcelhakd,

Nice to hear back from ya. Katy? WOW!!! Home of the greatest sporting goods store ever -- Bass Pro Shops! I still have my "Outdoor Rewards" card with me. I remember my first time walking into that store searching for the revered 12' 6-12 oz Ocean Master surf rods; and after what seemed like thirty minutes and sifting through thousands of rods later, I found 'em!

(To see all the running water through-out the store, with live fish in it is just amazing...Oh, and who can forget all the life-size trophy animal mounts?....Just beautiful!)

Bob,

Thank you for the salmon butterfly-filet technique on your site. I've wondered how people did it!
    Oh, and is the blond on your front page, um....<single> ?

Try Seward if you are going to be on the Kenai Peninsula. Look at the site for Miller's Landing. They are pretty rustic but offer cabins, kayaking, fishing and will book anything else you find that you want to do

Alright so the dates in going to be up are July 17th - 22nd
    I tried to contact Bob but got an answering machine.
    If anyone has any other suggestions for a lodging/fishing package it would be greatly appreciated

Red face

If you left a message, I'm sure Corey will be in contact fairly soon. Phones are usually pretty busy this time of year and she may not have been able to switch over to take your call.

I rarely answer the office phone as I'm on the water 95% of the time, especially if you tried later in the day right now as I'm fishing eve tides and just getting home about now

If you didn't leave a message, please give her a try again tomorrow. She should be able to get you squared away, although with your dates you have several days of river closures for guided fishing and lots of full boats ... thus she might have to tweak your ideal itinerary some depending upon what you're looking for. Thanks!

If you do head down to seward theres a good deal for fishing/lodging accommodations with Puffin Charters and Steller Bed and Breakfast. I am biased because my Aunt is the owner/builder of Steller B&B and I helped with the construction too.
    However, I know what the lodging rates are around town and hers are by far the cheapest for how nice a place it is. I think she wants $89 with shared bathrooms and $129 with private bathrooms. + or - $10...

Anyway, I've been fishing with Puffin charters quite a few times and their captains will work to get you your limit, even if it means staying out longer than you paid for. They will take you to the good halibut spots to try to catch a big one and if everyone hasnt caught their limit even their bailout spots have produced 40# butts.
    check out http://www.puffincharters.com/
    and www.stellerbandb.com

Default Seward Combo Trip

Pro Fish N Sea Charters and Crackerjack I would definately look at as well.

Actually I would make sure one of my days was with them for a Halibut Silver Salmon combo.

That is prime time when you will be here for that and they are Phenom fisherman.