Thread: Heat canned salmon before eating?

Default Heat canned salmon before eating?

In the salmon canning manual from the USDA/UAF it says "heat canned salmon before eating" What? That's the beauty of canned salmon for me, come home for lunch open a jar make salmon salad sandwiches, or just eat it right out of the jar.

Am I going to die of botulism? Does anyone really do that or is this just an attempt to keep from handing out Darwin awards?

KK

Default Canned salmon

If its canned properly you just open the jar and eat. I have been canning salmon for almost 30 years. I live off salmon salad sandwhiches for lunch. I can my fish at at least 10lbs pressure for a 100 minutes. I put up probably 32 pints a year.

Default +1

Same process.

If it ain't sealed, you'll know not to eat it.... you'll have crap growing all over the inside of that jar!!!

If it's sealed, well...... it ain't killed me yet. Been eating canned fish of some sort for 30+ years. Heck, Mom & Dad are still canning spring snagged golden carp with a cap full of liquid smoke per pint & it's YUMMY

one of the things I miss from childhood. Carp cakes, creamy sugar peas and home made Mac n Cheese....

At least its time to grab all the freezer burnt salmon outta the freezer & can it...... rehydrates the meat and makes it yummy again.

Guess what's going on in my house this weekend. Can't fish, on call for work... might as well do something usefull huh?

Quote Originally Posted by rdklinak View Post
    Same process.

At least its time to grab all the freezer burnt salmon outta the freezer & can it...... rehydrates the meat and makes it yummy again.
    Really? Sorry for having to ask for confirmation, but that seems too good to be true! I have a few filets left over -- some look pretty freezer burnt, but I really hate losing them. Canned salmon is awesome and gets used up much faster than the frozen filets in our house. If I could just can the old filets...
    Palmer, Alaska
    "There are some things money can buy. For everything else, there's ALASKA!"