Thread: No S.E. King Crabbing for '09

Default No S.E. King Crabbing for '09

Pretty much got a definitive answer that there won't be a S.E. personal use king crab fishery. Two (more like 2.7) years running now. WTH happened?

"We plan to issue a news release prior to July 1st with the latest news on the red crab personal use fishery outside of 11-A." (11-A is the area close to Juneau)

"I think at this point it's likely we'd wait until analyzing the 2009 survey results (sometime in mid-August) before re-opening red crab personal use outside of 11-A."

Trying to find out what the 2008 survey results were. Never did see that information release.

Ya...WTH! We had planned on filming for an episode of crab diving...not this year
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    Ya...WTH! We had planned on filming for an episode of crab diving...not this year
    It would make for a much more exciting show if your divers were to jump off the NorthWestern 220 miles to the North West of Dutch Harbour into 40' seas in October!!!!

Where did this come from? The Medeia isn't even back from the survey yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ddmitchell View Post
    Where did this come from? The Medeia isn't even back from the survey yet.
    Personal correspondence with ADF&G bio's

Joe Stratman handles all of S.E. except for 11-A
    Al Tingley handles 11-A

Survey results available mid-Aug.

Gov has to sign any regulatory change.

Minimum 30-days before regulation change takes effect.

I can read the tea leaves . . . I think.

Pretty much said no way on 11-A.

I'm really curious why the King Crab stocks are so low. Has the F&G made any type of statement? Were they over fished? Longliner bycatch? Is there a commercial season for king crab in SE?

We used to be able to set out king crab pots in front of town and get a few. I hope they open it again.

Default over fished

The years that this fishery was open to personal use it was over fished. up untill this year (when it was changed by board of fish) the crab catch was allocated 60% to personal use and 40% to commercial. Well if there was no commercial fishery thier 40% went to personal use. So there was still 100% of the allocated harvest being cauhgt even if the population could not support it. This is just for 11-A. The rest of southeast has way to high of a bag limit (6) which is in the prossess of being changed, or so I am told.

You can alwasy go after goldens!

Post SE Personal Use Red & Blue King Crab Fishery Announcement

Closed for the 2009 personal use season. See the attached announcements from ADF&G.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Looks like there's some hope outside of 11-A.

I'd be more than happy with a 1 or 2 a day crab limit. Even a harvest card.

Quote Originally Posted by mallardman View Post
    The years that this fishery was open to personal use it was over fished. up untill this year (when it was changed by board of fish) the crab catch was allocated 60% to personal use and 40% to commercial. Well if there was no commercial fishery thier 40% went to personal use. So there was still 100% of the allocated harvest being cauhgt even if the population could not support it. This is just for 11-A. The rest of southeast has way to high of a bag limit (6) which is in the prossess of being changed, or so I am told.

You can alwasy go after goldens!
    If the report from Kinyradio.com is to be believed, your assertion is not correct (aside from the bit about goldens). Would be interesting to find out what's going on...

From Kinyradio.com

Red and blue king crab fisheries closed in Section 11-A
    The Alaska Department of Fish and Game announced Tuesday that the personal use and commercial red and blue king crab fisheries in Section 11-A will be closed for the 2009 season.

The decision to close the fisheries is based on the results of the annual red crab stock assessment survey for the Juneau area which was completed on June 10th.

According to the department, catch per unit effort data from the annual assessment survey showed adult males at or near the long term average, but that young males and all females are at or near their lowest levels on record.