Thread: newbe signing in

Default newbe signing in

Greetings:

I’m new to the forum and thought I would introduce myself.

My family will be moving from New Mexico to the McGrath area next month. I have been reloading for many years and would like to continue.

On a recent trip to Anchorage, I stopped at a gun shop just to check things out, and I asked about powder supplies for reloading. The men behind the counter burst out in laughter – that kind of answered my question.

How are powder supplies in Alaska, and are there any good suppliers? I have checked with a few suppliers in the lower 48, but they will not ship to Alaska. Some will ship primers, however. I cast many of my own bullets, but it’s always good to have a supply of factory bullets as well.

So in short, I’m looking for advice on obtaining supplies in the bush.

Are there any Alaska specific rules or regulations I should be aware of – or just advice on anything else firearm / reloading related?

I know this is off the reloading topic, but what are some options for legally getting firearms to Alaska? I checked with the TSA, and it looks like I can take them on the plane as long as the guns are in a hard sided, lockable case, but how many are allowed per case before it draws “unwanted” attention?

In any case, just thought I would say, “Howdy,” and any advice would be welcome.

Welcome Boot face...you're joining a very useful and helpful community here. Your questions about traveling to Alaska with firearms, shipment restrictions for powder, and the availability of powder in Alaska have been recently discussed in great detail here and on the Shooting Forum. Do a "search" and you'll get the answers you need. There's also a "sticky" on the Shooting Forum regarding transporting firearms. We've talked about these topics a whole bunch in past months.

Again...welcome.

Doc

You can mail your long guns from yourself and to yourself in care of a friend in McGrath. I believe 2 guns per person is all you get to take by air, but I could very well be wrong. It could be that 2 is all you get for free and they charge for more, but my wife and I have flown with 4 handguns in one hard case without any trouble. I would mail long guns and fly with handguns if it were me.

Powder, primers, and ammo are hazmat.
    Powder supplies have improved some at this point and can be found in limited supply around Alaska, but are far from back to normal. Primers are still very hard to come by but if you’re lucky . . . Powder and primers ship UPS ground around the lower 48 and Alaska has no UPS ground service, they can go UPS air but the shipper must have a special hazmat contract that very few have. We have been getting around this by using freight forwarders and making 40+ pound group orders to keep the price down. I think you could set up an order like this once you get to McGrath and can hook up with other reloaders.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Welcome to the forums and an early welcome to Alaska!

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    You can mail your long guns from yourself and to yourself in care of a friend in McGrath. I believe 2 guns per person is all you get to take by air, but I could very well be wrong. It could be that 2 is all you get for free and they charge for more, but my wife and I have flown with 4 handguns in one hard case without any trouble. I would mail long guns and fly with handguns if it were me.

Powder, primers, and ammo are hazmat.
    Powder supplies have improved some at this point and can be found in limited supply around Alaska, but are far from back to normal. Primers are still very hard to come by but if you’re lucky . . . Powder and primers ship UPS ground around the lower 48 and Alaska has no UPS ground service, they can go UPS air but the shipper must have a special hazmat contract that very few have. We have been getting around this by using freight forwarders and making 40+ pound group orders to keep the price down. I think you could set up an order like this once you get to McGrath and can hook up with other reloaders.

I agree with ADfields: I'd throw in with one of these local group orders for your powder/primer needs. Shipping to Alaska has its problems, and it helps to have a united group effort addressing that.

Marshall/Ak