Thread: Moving my console

Default Moving my console

Hey guys, I'm thinking about moving my console up towards the front of my boat. Will I have to buy new cables or can I extend the old ones? I can't get the boat on step with 3 guys in it! I'm hoping to distribute the weight alittle different by moving some things around. I have a 16/48 flat bottom Sea Nymph with a 2 stroke 50/35 Evinrude jet! She seems to have the power if I can just get her weighted right! Any suggestions?

Brian

You cant extend the cables, youll have to buy new ones. Measure carefully when getting your new ones and even then add an extra foot on top of the length you think you might need

I have a friend who was having similar problems getting his boat up on step. He bought one of the hydrofoil stabilizers and bolted it to his outboard. Seemed to help.

Have you considered this approach?

Default Someone on this forum...

... posted pictures of little flotation pods they bolted to their transom on either side of the motor. These units allowed their boat to get up on step more easily. I believe they were manufactured.

If you move your console you will have a harder time getting on step when you go solo, as more of your weight will then be farther forward.

You may also want to consider some spring-loaded trim tabs. These would be far cheaper than getting new cables.

Quote Originally Posted by bhollis View Post
    I have a friend who was having similar problems getting his boat up on step. He bought one of the hydrofoil stabilizers and bolted it to his outboard. Seemed to help.

Have you considered this approach?
    Hydrofoil stabilizer on a jet?

I'd just move the other guys, cooler and gear up front a bit more, rather than messing with relocating things.

Quote Originally Posted by AKRoadkill View Post
    Hydrofoil stabilizer on a jet?
    Sorry. Don't know much about jet drives. If a hydrofoil stabilizer isn't an option for this engine, then never mind.

Default Sayak

Can you tell me alittle more about the two options you mentioned? I have never heard of these things before!

Thanks...Brian

I think akroadkill has it right. Start moving the mobile things around first and make sure you got the power to carry the weight. Lots of Knowledgable folks on here say a 50/35 is marginal at best with 3 guys and gear.

the performance envolpe on jets isnt much. If you are just a couple pounds over you wont get on step. Id try haveing two guys in there and then adding weight (like sandbags) to see where your cutoff limit is.

Default Here's what I googled

Quote Originally Posted by youghguide View Post
    Can you tell me alittle more about the two options you mentioned? I have never heard of these things before!

Thanks...Brian
    http://templates.earthstores.com/9018/proddetail.asp?id=74776F776865656C7261636B73∏=4693 36

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...ils_box_holder

Default Thanks Alot!

I just wanted to say thanks for all the help! If you were to choose between the smart tabs and the Pods which would you go with? Do you have to have a certain type of motor mount to use the pods? Thanks again!

Brian

Default Pods

Quote Originally Posted by youghguide View Post
    I just wanted to say thanks for all the help! If you were to choose between the smart tabs and the Pods which would you go with? Do you have to have a certain type of motor mount to use the pods? Thanks again!

Brian
    If you are going to do anything, add the pods. They add flotation. The tabs dont. They wont effect your motor mount as they bolt or weld on both sides of the motor on the transom. Your boat should get three average size people on step with light geer. If it wont you probably need to reshim, resharpen, or replace your impeller. If you are in the interior I would be happy to take a look at it with you.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Quote Originally Posted by wolfkiller View Post
    If you are going to do anything, add the pods. They add flotation. The tabs dont. They wont effect your motor mount as they bolt or weld on both sides of the motor on the transom. Your boat should get three average size people on step with light geer. If it wont you probably need to reshim, resharpen, or replace your impeller. If you are in the interior I would be happy to take a look at it with you.

The interior of PA LOL

Default Pods!

Are these pods filled with anything? Like styrofoam or something? I was thinking about making them myself!

Brian

Default Yes

Make sure they are water tite then fill them to the brim with air. I have seen them with foam in them but I think air is a better option. Air is cheeper and wont water log.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

And easy thing i didn,t see mentioned, Is the pin that the moter rest,s on. What hole is it in? If the bow rides high, bring the pin in towards the transom. There should be a set of holes,for this, play with that a little before spending a bunch of $. Also way i remembered we used to fig. with a jet 20Lbs per horsepower,That would put you at around 700lbs,paylaod, Thats people, gear, gas, moter, ect...Anymore than that than the boat will stuggle. I used to set mine up by myself running flat out with the water line hitting at my feet or about half way back. Than who ever i piled in there i would have them sit in a certain spot for the best ride. big guy up front, little guy in back so forth,moving them around until i was happy.

My pin is moved all the way forward! Do you think I should try to move it back one? Is that what your saying?

Brian

Depends on where the boat rides in the water, When your are on the move full out, Pin in towards the transom, is bow down, pin up bow up, if the boat porpise,s hops, than not enough weight up front, or bring pin in a notch, If the boat driving the bow down in the water hard, when you are wide open than want to bring up one , Go out give some trail run,s by your self, play with the setting, each Boat will have a sweet spot that it will like you will be able to feel it. you will see where the water line hits as you are moving, I like mine about half way back, with boat nice and level. Give it a try, nothing to lose and no money spent, Can Always move it back to where you started if it doesn,t change.

Funny timing on this thread - I'm just in the process of moving my console aft in my little 1648 (old riveted lowe)

I absolutely hate it up front - way too much weight forward when running empty. I think you've gotten some good advice - when you need weight up front, handle that by distributing your load - as others have said there is nothing you can redistribute when empty...

More reasons that I hate the console way forward in a small john boat:
    • I can't keep an eye on the kids or gear without turning around
    • makes loading more difficult (have to dance by the console on the short side)
    • to get off the bank after parking I have to walk to the rear of the boat (away from the controls)
    I have kind of the opposite problem your having with cables - I need to coil up my cables to get rid of the extra length - and the old crusty steering cable is not being very flexible!

Good luck and happy boating!