Thread: kasillof set netting

Default kasillof set netting

so I want to know how to set up a net just of the beach.
    I do not have a boat and I predict the beach will be packed.
    I have set up using the three poles in a triangle configuration but I do not know how to set it up off of the beach.
    will my poles (2) suffice for anchoring the net?
    How have you guys done it?

I have done it and it will be packed!!!! You wont get a good spot unless you are down there now camping and waiting for the opener. Dipnetting was way easier I thought. As for the net ADFG will have a steak every 60 feet and that is where you drive in your anchor on the beach. Some guys I saw used boats, but it really looked like a hassle.

Eagle River (Home!)

Great question I picked up a net last year, I have a boat but it would be great to do it without using it.

I have done it from the beach, and I have seen people walking out on the mud to tend there nets.
    These people set up there nets out past the beach nets and I was just wondering how to anchor the net.

Anchorage, AK

Default Offshore Gillnetting

Gillnets have to be set 100 feet apart minimum, both along the beach and also offshore of any other nets set on the beach or set offshore - out to the one mile limit. If the water is shallow enough to walk out at low tide and set an offshore net it could be done, but I think you would need a boat to tend the net while fishing (picking fish so one doesn't exceed the limit - unless fishing for a large group) and for setting / retreiving the net and anchors in case tide levels don't permit walking.

In lieu of a stake or an anchor, I have used a gunnysack full of rocks to anchor the offshore end of my shore-based set gillnet. I rigged a pulley at the buoy with a continuous loop of rope from the offshore end of the net to its inshore end, tied off to a shore stake. With this set-up I could haul the net in to shore like an old fashioned clothesline to pick fish from the offshore end, while hauling the inshore end of the net back out toward the buoy to keep it fishing as I picked fish. This technique allowed me to simply turn the net end-for-end by pulling the rope through the pulley attached to my buoy.

Default Men of the Mud

For a good 7 years now, I've put on the hip boots, loaded sleds with gear and set anchors seaward of the nets on pulleys. The process has certainly been refined....Take a medium sized duck bill, a 4' long piece of rebar that fits into the duckbill and a small sedge hammer (a 4 pounder will do) out with you. Drive the duckbill and rebar into the mud until the wire loop is just above the mudflat and remove the rebar for reuse. A stouter piece of rebar can be used to lift up on the duck bill to move it from vertical to horizontal. One duck bill on each end of the net works. The tricky part is making sure the duck bill are far enough apart so your net isn't "C" shapped or too tight and under water. That's more art than science.

As for fish retrieval, make sure you have able permit capacity for the number of nets you've got out there. A small boat can be launched to pick the net and pull it if desired. Otherwise, on the outgoing tide, in clam seas and a couple feet of water we head out and start picking, bleeding and tossing fish into sleds (a high walled sled like a plastic jet sled is sweet). If there is surf we wait til it's safe. In bad surf conditions, you'll want a few five gallons buckets with water so you can dunk the fish to clean off any mud (fill the buckets at high tide). We try to dig out the duck bills when we're done for the season and that works about half the time.

I've also observed the mudflats are firmer after a calm (flat water) tide cycle. Surf really seems to fluff it up and walking can be a bit trickier. We always go out with a small sheet of 3/4" plywood and lay it on the mud so if you get a foot stuck your free foot/knee can rest and push on the board. Without the board, you can get one foot free and other other stuck and you get into a redo loop for a while. Another tip, point your toes down and your heels up, that give less surface area when you are trying to left a semi-stuck foot.

Also, when stuck have your buddy reach into the mud long the back of your boot and grab the boot's heal (on the bottom of the boot), this breaks the airlock around your boot and you can also lift as your buddy tries raise his leg.

Lastly, your boots need to be a snug fit around your foot. If it's too large you don't have as much control on the boot when walking. Good luck.