Thread: Looking for redtail hawks...

Default Looking for redtail hawks...

I'm an apprentice falconer in Palmer and I'm looking for redtail hawks. I will have a state permit to trap one later this fall and wondered if forum members in south-central AK could let me know if and where they are seeing them? Anchorage & Mat-Su would be ideal but I'm not opposed to driving a bit if necessary. I appreciate the heads up. I can be reached at bpettet@gci.net. Thanks.

Saw what looked like a redtailed hawk in the marsh south of the railroad over pass on the way out of Wasilla by the airport this week. Only place the road goes over the rails on the way out of town north.

Thanks much. I'll put that on my list of places to check out. Many hands (eyes in this case) make the work lighter!

I've always been interested in falconry, but the time requirements are still too great for me. I'm glad they have the standards that they do, so these magnificent birds aren't relegated to life like a parakeet.
    You say that you'll likely have a permit this fall. I take it that you'll be looking out for an adult or sub-adult at this point. I did see a dark phase redtail off the Spur Hwy, at Mile 8, going into Kenai several days ago. If I see it again, I'll let you know.
    Good luck.

Thanks for your reply. I'm required to trap an immature R/T less than a year old. I'm not allowed to take one from a nest and it cannot have adult plumage. Immature birds have a very low survival rate so falconers are almost literally saving a hawk by trapping it.

As an apprentice, I could also trap a goshawk or an adult kestrel but most apprentices go with the R/T.

Default Red Tails

YD,
    You may want to PM OATS on this forum.
    -SS365