Thread: close but no cigar

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default close but no cigar

Ran off to check the baits yesterday for yet one more disapointment... i am not sure if it is the winter we had, the amount of snow this year or the flooding last fall and this spring, but NO hits yet.

so i made the executive decision to head south to unit 13... and what a drive.. ( i wish they would move Disney park off the highway system) any way 45 min later we are scoping the area i was told a few dead moose were laying along a certain stretch of area.

and sure enough we spot a nice young grizz... while i was talking business to homerdave... I( sorry Dave hunting first)

being this is to be the boys first Griz.. young is in order.. and here was a pair of 3 yr olds... pretty blonds with buckskin stripes...the mask on one marking it a young sow... both about 5 foot...

so we are off and have a good wind and make good time. until i hop across one little creek...about 4 foot wide.. the lad comes to it and looked down... you know those tundra creeks that drop 15 foot or better down?... he he....." uh dad????" what? you can't make that?

so i hop back and do the ol belt loop assist across the creek...
    as he picked himself up on the other side he grins... lets go...

well as we get to the last little hill above our target. having circled nearly 1 mile by now. we are in place just to see them wandering in to the brush for a nap.. so we settled in on our own ... an MRE and bottle of water. (THANK GOD FOR THE THERMOS CELLS)

about 2 hours later we see on stirring and rolling around in the sun... and this is where i went wrong...

any one that has spent hours of silence with an 11 year old that is used to instant gatification...(we are still working on it) ... knows what i am talking about...

i listened to the boy...and went after it....not 10 min later bear number 2 still in the brush BUSTED US O BAD!!!!...

Woooof wooffff woooOOOOOF WWWWWOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFF and away t ran.

crap... forgot about that one..... we got home at 2 am today....

one more chance tomorrow morning. i have 2 appointments. and then we head back out ... at least we know where they are eating. the lad heads off o Idaho o Friday for the summer so ...... this is it.

by the way...

if you have not tried Thremo cells yet....JUST FRIGGING DOIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you wont be sorry...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Good story, Vince. I tried to get my 10 year old nephew on his first black two weeks ago, and though it didn't work, he's still chompin' at the bit to try again. Hopefully your boy isn't losing his enthusiasm at all.

I had a close call of my own two nights ago. I was up at my brother's cabin on a slough off the Yetna River. It was evening and the king fishing was non-existant, so I spent a couple of hours moving slowly through the weeks with fly rod in hand looking for pike. I packed my rifle along just in case, and wouldn't you know it, right as I was about to head back to the cabin I spotted a black bear on the opposite beach about 300 yards down the slough. My wife and I quickly paddled the canoe out of the bear's sight and beached it. I stalked quickly to the nearest vantage point, and right as I rounded the corner I saw him slinking into the brush. Four or five seconds more was all I needed...but that's the way it works sometimes.

Next time...

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

hmm Brian was wondering about that...that should be a god story too...

you, bucking rut, tdlarm, and a lad.... a trip with homer Dave, and no bears ... so? howd ya fill your time.. obviously every one likes the ones that end in victory... but the losses are all ones we find the best... i explain to the boy every time... it is the ones that get away that will hold the longest space in the memory books....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Vince - Really, there's not much to tell. My nephew and I saw one bear for about 5 seconds at dark one night, and Josh saw the same on another night. That was it. Apparently the low snowfall and Redoubt ash on the snow caused a really early melt-off and the bears were almost all up high. Other hunters we talked to reported similar results. We'll give 'er another go this fall, though.