Thread: 24 hour+ soaks

Default 24 hour+ soaks

Im just curious on how some people are doing with long soaks. From my
    experience I have noticed a 2-4 hour soak has a lot more shrimp than overnight soaks. This last weekend I put two cups of bait in my pots that I was going to pull in the morning hoping the bait would last longer and catch more shrimp, well after 10 hours I pulled about a 35 a pot average the bait was not gone but looked very washed out.
    Then I reset everything and pulled again in two hours and caught a 40-45 a pot average. I have noticed this a lot over the last couple years and was wondering if there is any explanation for this i'm using Steve's shrimp crack and was wondering if there is anything else that I can add to make my bait last longer.
    I have herd some people leave pots out for several days or up to a week and was just curious on how well they are doing?

thanks for any info

From what I have noticed with short soaks I tend to have alot more medium sized shrimp along with a few small ones. The longer soaks seem to give enough time for the med/small shrimp to leave so I end up with all large shrimp. From my experience quantity is similar but is more dependant on dropping in a good location.

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEAK49 View Post
    experience I have noticed a 2-4 hour soak has a lot more shrimp than overnight soaks. This last weekend I put two cups of bait in my pots that I was going to pull in the morning hoping the bait would last longer and catch more shrimp, well after 10 hours I pulled about a 35 a pot average the bait was not gone but looked very washed out.
    Then I reset everything and pulled again in two hours and caught a 40-45 a pot average. I have noticed this a lot over the last couple years and was wondering if there is any explanation for this i'm using Steve's shrimp crack and was wondering if there is anything else that I can add to make my bait last longer.
    I have herd some people leave pots out for several days or up to a week and was just curious on how well they are doing?

thanks for any info
    I typically soak for about 6 hours. If I am overnighting then I will soak all night. Typically I do just as good on a 4-6 hour soak as on a 12 hour soak..
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Thumbs up Shrimp crack last a long time for me

Went out to Cochrane Bay from Friday to Sunday last weekend for shakedown cruise on our new (used) 22'Sea Sport. Used two strings of two pots each. Baited up bottles with shrimp crack friday afternoon, pulled Saturday morning, Saturday evening, and again on Sunday morning. Good numbers and large shrimp each pull. (best I ever did). Bait lasted the entire time, pulled them up..and put them right back down.
    Bought all new line and had Potbuilder rig up the whole deal for me a couple of weeks ago. Great professional job at a very reasonable price. Compared to past years using that lousy yellow poly rope, this time was like a dream. Everything so much easier. Instead of force coiling rope into buckets, this rope all faked into one floor fish box. 1600 foot of line plus buoys in one box...what a deal! I was really pleased!
    My hat is off to Potbuilder!!!

Steve was saying he had some new sinking line this year that faked real nice. Do you use his floating line between the pots? Thinking of investing in this new line heís got, have had good luck with his pots. Have always added additional shrimp crack after each pull, good to know it lasts that long perhaps Iíll use less bait.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary W. View Post
    Went out to Cochrane Bay from Friday to Sunday last weekend for shakedown cruise on our new (used) 22'Sea Sport. Used two strings of two pots each. Baited up bottles with shrimp crack friday afternoon, pulled Saturday morning, Saturday evening, and again on Sunday morning. Good numbers and large shrimp each pull. (best I ever did). Bait lasted the entire time, pulled them up..and put them right back down.
    Bought all new line and had Potbuilder rig up the whole deal for me a couple of weeks ago. Great professional job at a very reasonable price. Compared to past years using that lousy yellow poly rope, this time was like a dream. Everything so much easier. Instead of force coiling rope into buckets, this rope all faked into one floor fish box. 1600 foot of line plus buoys in one box...what a deal! I was really pleased!
    My hat is off to Potbuilder!!!
    Thanks Gary, your making me blush Glad you like the new rigging and its gonna get better after using it a few times, keep catching'em. If you ever hang down that polysteel rope i hope you have good strong cleats, that stuff doesn't part easily.
    If you need that gear tuned any just let me know.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Overnight for us.

Our best averages come from overnight soaks. The shrimp size is typically larger also after an overnight drop. We have experimented with cat food, shrimp bait, clams, fish parts, lights and so on. In our experience, it's easiest to use the commercial bait and spruce it up with the thawed/frozen herring bait from last outings halibut trip.
    On two hour soaks our #'s are not too great, but leave them down 5-7 hours and they do much better. Maybe it has to do with the tide dispersing the scent?
    BK

thanks for any info
    I've said it many times, "you only catch whats around the pot" they just don't keep on coming to a pot. You won't double the catch for a 4 hour soak in 8 hours.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Thanks for the info guys. So in everyones opinion what is the best soak time? From what I can gather it seems like about 2-4 hrs. Also Steve how much of your bait do you use for a pot and do you replace or just add new when you reset?

Smile Soak time and bait

We just usually leave the pots on the bottom until its convenient in our daily activities to pull them. Usually pull after breakfast and then again before anchoring up for dinner and over night. Don't see much sense in timing it all out. Just do what works best for you, trying to leave them down for at least 4 or 5 hours if possible. Just remember...anytime is better than no time!!
    For the past 2 or 3 years we have used "shrimp crack" exclusively. Every once in a while when I have a salmon head of tail handy I will throw it into the mix, but did not use anything last weekend but the crack and as I said before, best shrimping ever.
    As far as amount of bait to use...Each or my pots has a 1 pint cheapo water bottle in them. Lots and lots of small holes drilled in sides and bottom. Have used same bait for up to 4 days in a row and still had good results. Suppose you could rebait each pull, but I have not seen the need yet to do that.
    Thanks for the tune up offer Steve. Not necessary on anything yet. Only problem I had was the 10' drop line wrapping around the standing line a few times. Trying to figure out a cure for that, but if thats as bad as it gets, I'll be alright!!
    Hope I never have to test out those SeaSport cleats on that line.

Thanks for the info guys. So in everyones opinion what is the best soak time? From what I can gather it seems like about 2-4 hrs. Also Steve how much of your bait do you use for a pot and do you replace or just add new when you reset?
    I use about 3 handfuls per jar and just add a bit if needed every few hauls.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692