Thread: Fish Preparation

Originally Anchor Point, AK but in Kodiak now!

Default Fish Preparation

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone out there still used the floating egg method for brine. In case there are some that don't know about it. You tak X amount of water and dump X amount of salt until it floats an egg. That's usually my method. Anyways, I will take any other suggestions. Thanks

soon to be back in Alaska

Default Which Salt?

Diffrent grinds of salt weigh diffrently for a standard volume measurement, so you want to weigh your salt. 1 cup of table salt per gallon is the standard. 1 cup of table salt should be 10 ounces. So you want 10 ounces of salt (by weight) per gallon of water. Kosher salts are the best to use, because they do not have any anti caking agents or added iodine to effect the flavor. Kosher salts can weigh between 5 to 7 1/2 ounces per cup. So you would need between 2 cups to 1 1/2 cups of kosher salt per gallon of water. The two most popular brand of kosher salt weigh in like this: Morton Kosher = 7 1/2 ounces per cup and Diamond Kosher = 5 ounces per cup.

A great read for brining is:
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

I've gone to dry brining when I smoke my fish, I find that I get better results. I just rub on a generous coat of pickling salt and brown sugar, let them set a few hours, then rinse off and I'm ready to go.

I've also dry brined, rinsed and frozen fillets, then thawed them out and smoked them later.