Thread: Ahtna Bear Hunting

Default Ahtna Bear Hunting

After further review Ahtna will be issuing wolf and bear (black and brown) hunting permits through 2009. A $100 permit fee will be applied per individual permit. Bait stations will need to be GPS'd and shown on the permit and removed after each hunting season.

Aerial wolf hunting permits for State certified hunters are no charge.

For more information please contact Ahtna at 907-822-3476.

Thank you.

Joe,

Thanks for the update. $100 certainly seems more reasonable. Based on your description you'd need a seperate $100 tag for each wolf and $100 for each black or brown bear??

Thanks

Would you also have to pay the normal access/recreation fees (i.e. 2 days of camping and one bear permit fee?).

I'm glad AHTNA is allowing some hunting on their land. However, having to pay AHTNA to do THEIR predator control work on their land... what a deal! They want the bears and wolves shot so they can have more caribou and moose- but instead of just allowing increased opportunity for non AHTNA folk to help out, they charge a large fee for the privilege. Talk about getting your cake and eating it too! We also pay Fish and Game to manage the game and the hunting on their private property, and Troopers to enforce game and trespass laws on AHTNA land. I guess the bright side is that at least AHTNA is letting outside hunters hunt on their land.

They should skip the wolf and bear fee's and just got to a tresspass fee, kind f like the state parks do, buy a permit and it's good for say, 6 months. I'm curious to know if that fee is per bear and wolf also.

Default Hey Joe...

Would like it if Ahtna called it "aerial wolf shooting"

Default Will they open logging roads.

I applaud Ahtna for opening Liberty Falls. It is a special place for all Alaskans and is a treasure that has been recognized as a stop and special use area since before contact.
    I am wondering if the Bear permit would allow individuals to hunt the logging roads clear by Evergreen logging on the far side of the Kotsina River. This is Ahtna land that has good numbers of bears and other animals.
    It is also an area where there are bison and moose.

These logging roads might open up more than 50 miles of Unit 11 Preserve that is open to all permitted hunters.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Speaking of Liberty Falls area, does anyone know how to find the easements which may cross their land. I have found some decent on line maps for their easements neat Cantwell but not much by Chitina.

The $100 bear hunting permit fee is for the entire year and as many animals as allowed by State law. The bear permit is in addition to the daily, or annual trespass permit.

A source for locating easements on Ahtna land can be viewed from the following link. A version of google earth will need to be downloaded.

http://ahtna.lands.googlepages.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    Speaking of Liberty Falls area, does anyone know how to find the easements which may cross their land. I have found some decent on line maps for their easements neat Cantwell but not much by Chitina.

http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/prog/lan...tna_Lands.html

Default small game

Joe, will you also be issuing small game permits any time soon? With the land selection process, huge tracts of road accessible bunny hunting is now off limits to many people who grew up in this state hunting those areas. I think establishing a small game permit system would be greatly beneficial to the AHTNA group not only for the financial gain, but also for easing resentment from people who have been cut off of a traditional resource by politics. Most who I have talked to would be happy to pay up to $100 to be allowed to hunt bunnies, grouse, coyote and lynx again. With the exception of grouse, these species all seem to cycle up and down independent of hunting and trapping pressure, so would not be beneficial at all to not hunt- high populations will just die back down anyhow.

Hope its in the works.

How much is the annual tresspass fee?

I thought it was 100 bucks last year. Could be wrong.

Annual (January 1st through December 31st) individual trespass fee is $50. Family is $75. Daily is $10.

Thanks for being so up front with us Joe!
    I do have some questions <grin>
    Is the annual trespass permit all that is required to cross AHTNA land for hunting? What are the rules on using ATV's or sleds to cross?

A trespass permit is all that is required to cross Ahtna land to access public hunting areas. There are no vehicle restrictions to cross Ahtna lands at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bovee View Post
    A trespass permit is all that is required to cross Ahtna land to access public hunting areas. There are no vehicle restrictions to cross Ahtna lands at this time.
    Thanks Joe!

Default good news

Thats great to hear. Thanks! Any small game permits in the works?