Thread: what do you do with wild ducklings?

Default what do you do with wild ducklings?

so my 4 year old daughter caught, i should say rescued a wild mallard duckling in our backyard today...when she showed me i went to see if there were more, and right away rescued one from our cat. afterward we found 3 more....i saw the mother from a distance and she flew until i could no longer see her or find her....after this, we left the ducklings outside in a tote where she mote hear them crying....she never came back. what to do with 5 ducklings? my friend has a big pen we could use that he kept his young pheasants in....

Bird TLC in Anchorage will take them. If you or a friend decide to raise them yourself don't get caught, it requires a migratory bird permit from USF&W. Good luck.

The official recommendation is always to not touch and leave them alone, though as you noted, your cat would impinge on this advice! Good luck.

Talking

Ever try making stew out of them?

from my experience wild ducklings will probably die if you try to keep them. I tried raising several that were saved from similar fate and they all died. I say let them loose on the pond and hope for the best. The mother may yet come back.

Well I didn't look at the date. What happened?

Default I dont mean to be too bigga jerk and ......

....I dont know your situation but you should have left them. I'm pretty sure that female wasnt abandoning them; she was trying to get you and your daughter to follow her and leave her ducklings ALONE. They would have hid in the area til she came back and called them out of hiding or could have been "adopted" by another female. If they were still alone after a day or two, then MAYBE take em in.

DONT TOUCH THE WILDLIFE!

it turned out fine, turns out they were pintails, and the bird people picked em up and said they most likely would have been picked off by one of the nieghborhood critters. their are quite a few foxes, sightings during the day are normal, and ive seen several lynx in the area recently, not to mention there are to my knowledge about 2 dozen cats that roam the area.There is also a family of goshawks that live on the bluff across the road. by the way those ducklings are at the zoo now in the waterfowl pond and are doing great.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    ... about 2 dozen cats that roam the area...
    Now there's a problem that can be easily solved.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!