Thread: Drift Boat Kicker Size???

Default Drift Boat Kicker Size???

This is really a general fishing question, but know there are more drift boat folks here than in the regular fishing forum.

So, what is the right size for a alum. drift boat 18-20' in size? Looking to add one to my 18' Willie, and like the smaller size of Honda's 5hp, but like the additional power of an 8hp, just not sure if I really need it. What do folks with more knowledge than me think?

Plan to use it to run to the bottom of the Kasilof and Kenai for take out and to scoot across Skilak after the canyon or to enter the middle.

Thanks all,

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Default Tuff question...

I say the lighter the better... If you can find a 4 hp to suit your needs for for it... Get the most power for the weight. If you really want to go back up stream effectivily u will need at least a 8 hp... In the NW everyone says u need a long shaft... I think a short shaft is plenty adequate and helps prevent you from tearing up you prop in the shallow.

I have a 20 ft Willie and run a 9.9 portable 4 stroke Yamaha that is at least 115 pounds.... Backbreaker for sure and not portable, but really pushes a load well and will go upstream w/ ease....

Default yes i agree

tynmon has it right, i have a 16ft drifter and we just recently bought a brand new yamaha 9.9, i still think i could have put a 15 on there, but the weight is rediculous. the lighter the better for skilak ... keep that boat as even as possible when its taking on waves like that. With and 18 ft i wouldnt get anything smaller than a 9.9 .... 5hp seems like a canoe motor more than a drifter motor. yours probably sits 4? might want that extra ass in your propolsion.i got a long shaft because i also have a cataraft that i put it on, and when you have waves in skilak.... it will bring that prop right out of the water. Definently not a neccessity for a drifter though.
    Go Fish

Default For What It's Worth

Will defer to the experts, but I've had some limited experiences...

When I lived in Oregon, I spent quite a bit of time in a friend's 16' Fish Rite. We had good success trolling in the bays with an 8 hp long shaft motor. Mercury as I recall.

I'm sure he ran it on the larger rivers as well, but I wasn't on any of those trips.

Default Leaning towards the 8hp

I sure like the 60lbs of the 5hp, but the 8hp is looking like my choice I guess. It weighs 90 something and should work fine.

I fish the middle quite a bit and just always row it out, but haven't fished the canyon since thats a long dangerous row---which is where likely what I will use it mostly. I also take out at the Kenai dock a lot on Mondays, and last day of last year I sure was wishing I had a kicker---because it really is a long row at the very end of a long day.

Thanks for all the info.

Ty, hows the fishing been for you. I haven't spoken to you in ages. You talked to Sager at all lately? Haven't seen him either in more than a year.

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Quote Originally Posted by wildwill View Post
    I sure like the 60lbs of the 5hp, but the 8hp is looking like my choice I guess. It weighs 90 something and should work fine.

I fish the middle quite a bit and just always row it out, but haven't fished the canyon since thats a long dangerous row---which is where likely what I will use it mostly. I also take out at the Kenai dock a lot on Mondays, and last day of last year I sure was wishing I had a kicker---because it really is a long row at the very end of a long day.

Thanks for all the info.

Ty, hows the fishing been for you. I haven't spoken to you in ages. You talked to Sager at all lately? Haven't seen him either in more than a year.

Will
    I talk to Sager now and again on Facebook, as for the fishing I am in Oregon this summer and fishing is ok, but it is pretty rough this being my first summer away from Ak in the last 12!!