Thread: Need help with a detune kit

Default Need help with a detune kit

I have a 40 2 stroke yamaha and I want to run it on the kenai for the next few weeks and then after Aug1. I just purchased a detune kit from a mech in Soldotna and I'm back in Anchorage hoping to detune this motor before this weekend so I can get back out there and catch more Reds. I've attached photos and a parts diagram from Yamaha. Any help would be appriciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default One more photo

Thanks again.
    Attached Images Attached Images

It's fairly straightforward. I've done it several times... Just make a note where everything goes on the cam that's already on the engine and unclip everything. Then use a socket wrench to get the bolt holding the cam in place. Swap with the 35hp cam and reverse. I'll try to go look at my motor tonight and see how it all hooks up.

Just like he says. Take note or refer to your photos. Unbolt the one, put the other in just like it and bolt it on. It takes just a few minutes. The first time I got a little confused so it took 10 minutes.

Red face Why bother?

Page 6 from the Sport Fish Regs (Southcentral AK) regarding the mainstem of the Kenai River, "Outboards with a total propshaft rating greater than 35 HP must be a four-stroke motor or a direct fuel injection motor."

The max is 50 HP unless you are on the lakes but ya still need the four-stroke or dfi.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati.../SCregbook.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Tikahtnu View Post
    Page 6 from the Sport Fish Regs (Southcentral AK) regarding the mainstem of the Kenai River, "Outboards with a total propshaft rating greater than 35 HP must be a four-stroke motor or a direct fuel injection motor."

The max is 50 HP unless you are on the lakes but ya still need the four-stroke or dfi.

http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/Stati.../SCregbook.pdf
    He's trying to go for June/August when two-strokes are allowed, but still limited to 35 hence the detuning of 40hp that he has. It sucks that they banned two strokes from dipnetting though.

Default detune kit help

First thanks for all the help. It will indeed be easier than I thought except for the fact that I have the wrong cam. Does anyone out there have a cam for an 2001 Yamaha 40HP 2 stroke laying around or still on your motor and you'd like to sell it? I've tried Deweys and Anch Yamaha and neither have it or can get it. I thought I'd try here first before posting on CL.

A '94 or newer cam will work right?

Default Detune Cam

I believe it's a 95 and newer. There is a picture of the one I don't need in my second post. Pic name is motor2.jpg.