Thread: Another new Ruger.....

Default Another new Ruger.....

I know, I just got a new Blackhawk but there is another I just have to have. The anniversary edition of the 357 and 44 mag flat top Blackhawk revolvers peaks my interest but since I have a very nice original 6 1/2" Blackhawk in 44 mag I can't get to excited about these. I have found that there is a flat top Blackhawk Ruger that is on my list. One that was never made before. There is a special run of Blackhawks with 4 5/8" & 5 1/2" barrels chambered in 44 Special. Ruger has never done that, to my knowledge, and since it is one of my favorite calibers for a packin' gun, I put one on order. Should be in next week.

I lot of folks consider the 44 special to be a milk toast kind of revolver cartridge, being heavily overshadowed by the 44 magnum. Of course the argument is that one can shoot 44 specials in the 44 mag so if you want wimpy loads in the 44 bore, shoot specials in the mag. But there is much more to it than that. You see the 44 special is 100 years old and has survived for good reason. It was Elmers favorite round and often used long after his 44 mag became a reality. Sometimes a light weight 44 revolver with moderate loads is a better choice for a trail gun. It is quieter and lighter weight with less recoil. All good points for a gun carried all day long especially when it is very capable ballistically to handle anything encountered along the trail. I think it really is special.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Murphy, S&W is making a run of their "Classic" Model 17 and model 48, I should hope you can find a loving home for at least one of them.........

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeak View Post
    Murphy, S&W is making a run of their "Classic" Model 17 and model 48, I should hope you can find a loving home for at least one of them.........

Probably could. I have an original M48, 22 mag and a trio of M24's in 44 special, all old stock. I thought I needed a Blackhawk to finish out the collection. I just like the caliber.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Sorry, I lied......they are making the M-17 and M-18......not the M-48

Murphy,

I good friend of mine is hell bent on a S&W 500. I offered to bring him along with my brother and I for our annual moose hunt. He feels that he must have a side arm while out in the woods.

Having said that I'm against a gun that hurts when you shoot it, requires both hands, weighs a ton and is hard to draw when needed. What are your feelings on the S&W 329PD. Can this revolver shoot hot hard cast loads for bear defense without failure. Some people say it can't but I'm assuming it can handle any commercial ammo.

I like the idea of a light weight side arm and I feel the 44 mag has plenty of power for what ever comes in the night.

thanks for your .02

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Murphy,

I good friend of mine is hell bent on a S&W 500. I offered to bring him along with my brother and I for our annual moose hunt. He feels that he must have a side arm while out in the woods.

Having said that I'm against a gun that hurts when you shoot it, requires both hands, weighs a ton and is hard to draw when needed. What are your feelings on the S&W 329PD. Can this revolver shoot hot hard cast loads for bear defense without failure. Some people say it can't but I'm assuming it can handle any commercial ammo.

I like the idea of a light weight side arm and I feel the 44 mag has plenty of power for what ever comes in the night.

thanks for your .02
    Well I'm not Murphy but the only reason I donít have a S&W 500 in ammo price. I have shot them one handed without any trouble at all and I pack my X-frame 460 (which is a bit heavier dry) all over without any of the troubles you talked of. I can shoot my 460 with ammo that is spooky hot and heavy one handed just as well as I can an average 44mag for its 5 rounds. I love the X-frame, itís one of the best things S&W ever came up with.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default X frame

I agree on the X frame - esp the 500 - as a defensive gun. I've never shot my 5" .500 two handed and the recoil is not painfull compared to many other guns like the 329 PD. The weight isn't much more that a Super Red Hawk and the power to weight ratio beats out a lot of other guns.

I cast bullets and handload so the ammo cost isn't a big issue. I did buy some 500 gr Hornady jacketed bullets that were nearly a buck a piece but I don't plan on shooting many of them!

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Well I'm not Murphy but the only reason I donít have a S&W 500 in ammo price. I have shot them one handed without any trouble at all and I pack my X-frame 460 (which is a bit heavier dry) all over without any of the troubles you talked of. I can shoot my 460 with ammo that is spooky hot and heavy one handed just as well as I can an average 44mag for its 5 rounds. I love the X-frame, itís one of the best things S&W ever came up with.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Thanks for the information on the S&W500, I have not shot one yet. I have shot several 44 Mags and a few 454 casull models. I do have a cousin in Las Vegas that shoots more than I and hates his S&W500. As a matter of fact, he wants to sell it soon, it's a long barrel model with scope rings. I can only base my current opinion on what others have said.