Thread: Quick Question

Question Quick Question

Hey have a quick question to ask all that are on here. I shot my bear on Sunday morning and the hide has been in the freezer since about 1630 on Sunday. I need to take it down to get sealed. But my problem is that it has to be thawed out for them to tag it. Will the hair start slipping when this happens? After I get done tagging it, it will put right back in the freezer to wait till the funds get up to do my full body mount I have planned. I just do not want the hair slipping and messing up the hide. Any info would be great. Thanks

i would say it should not be a problem but check with your taxidermist. they deal with hides regularly
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Quote Originally Posted by dedickjr View Post
    Hey have a quick question to ask all that are on here. I shot my bear on Sunday morning and the hide has been in the freezer since about 1630 on Sunday. I need to take it down to get sealed. But my problem is that it has to be thawed out for them to tag it. Will the hair start slipping when this happens? After I get done tagging it, it will put right back in the freezer to wait till the funds get up to do my full body mount I have planned. I just do not want the hair slipping and messing up the hide. Any info would be great. Thanks
    Thaw the hide out (in a cool place) - get it sealed - then flesh, turn toes, ears, etc. Salt and cure. Then you won't have to worry about keeping the trophy frozen. If you need help find someone that knows how to process the trophy, taxidermist or someone from the forum. Taking care of these trophies is part of the hunt.
    Good luck
    Joe (Ak)
    (If in the Fairbanks area I'll be glad to help.)

If your serious about having a mount done, then heed Mr. Want's advice. Get it properly fleshed and salted. Leaving things in freezers always presents some risk, if freezer/electirc problems occur unknown to you. Been there, done that.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Bear Hide

I live in Soldotna. I can help. send a PM

Leave it frozen. I sealed a blackie last week that was still frozen and it was no big deal.

As long as the skull is out and everything is taggable, no worries.

The skull was still a block of ice and they still took measurements and tagged it. Kinda surprised me that F&G didnt check for the sex on the hide but they still tagged it.

for a day or 2 dont worry about it. we had a bear that was thawed for almost a week, it was ripe but it will turn out fine. I dont reccomend this as normal practice but... get it sealed.

If your in anchorage drop me a line.