Thread: Juneau area fishing

Default Juneau area fishing

Hopefully selling out the business and retiring this winter. I had been looking closely at the Wasilla area, for variouse reasons, but was surprised when my wife suddenly quipped that she might prefer Juneau (hehe they do hold their land values highly there). Nothing against Wasilla but I probably would prefer Juneau myself. Was wondering if any board members living there might pass on tips about the fishing prospects (kings in particulare, after busting my prize, pre Chinese manufactured, abu garcia rod it's personnal now), preferred boat types and any rough ideas about slip fees etc..

Default Costs of Juneau Harbor

There is lots of salmon fishing around Juneau, but I would warn you that if you think the land values are bad you should check out the harbor fees.
    http://www.juneau.org/law/regulation...ND_CHARGES.pdf

A lot of recreational boat owners are pulling their boats out and using trailers and a lot of other boats including the commercial boats have left the Juneau harbor system for other communities such as Hoonah, Sitka, Pelican etc. Our yearly stall rate for a 43' boat 3 years ago was in the $800 range, this year we paid $1700+ and it is planned to go up again.

If you have a boat options are pretty much unlimited, if you like to troll (or gillnet) freshwater fishing for anything is tough for sure.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Juneau

IMO Juneau has a lot of options and species available, but none of them are spectacular. You'll be able to fish for all species of salmon, halibut, crab, trout/steelhead which is all great, but it's not a real hotspot for any of those species. As far as boats go, most people trailer their rigs. Trailering also gives you the option to launch from a number of boat launches along the road system. Good luck, Juneau's a great place-

Quote Originally Posted by Just the Facts View Post
    There is lots of salmon fishing around Juneau, but I would warn you that if you think the land values are bad you should check out the harbor fees.
    http://www.juneau.org/law/regulation...ND_CHARGES.pdf

A lot of recreational boat owners are pulling their boats out and using trailers and a lot of other boats including the commercial boats have left the Juneau harbor system for other communities such as Hoonah, Sitka, Pelican etc. Our yearly stall rate for a 43' boat 3 years ago was in the $800 range, this year we paid $1700+ and it is planned to go up again.
    Hello victim of pretending to be a resident....

I was paying $1,000.00 in 1983 for a 22' boat at Deharts when a severe low tide restricted my movements.

What you are is a transient. A seasonal "guide."

That's my opinion.
    "...just because we didn't agree with you doesn't mean we didn't have good discussion. It just means you missed it." -JMG-

Wow, you guys pay a lot for a slip. I paid around $330 this year for a 21' slip. When I lived in Sitka it was cheap also.

If I was retiring to a place to catch Kings, I would choose Sitka. I love Sitka.

Default Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by SoggyMountain View Post
    Hello victim of pretending to be a resident....

I was paying $1,000.00 in 1983 for a 22' boat at Deharts when a severe low tide restricted my movements.

What you are is a transient. A seasonal "guide."

That's my opinion.
    I was going to try and ignore this but you are very far off base

Yes, my husband and I are residents of Juneau - Have lived in Southeast Alaska since 1985 and are commercial fishermen.

Depending on budget, I've rather enjoyed my boathouse in Aurora... you can get into a half for between $35 and $50K, and a whole house for $80-$100. Yes, I know, there are still moorage and electric fees, etc., but it's "do-able" even on my modest income.

Hmm... me promoting boathouse purchases when I've got one of the nicer boathouses in the harbor for sale... kinda like the folks that buy IFQ on speculation, then kindly offer to lease it to charter boats... ;-)

Seriously though... if I were "retiring" again, and hadn't grown up here, I think Sitka might be my first choice, with Juneau running a very close second. If the wife needs "big city" type services and activities, Juneau is a much better bet. I think you'll both love it, and coming soon may be a good time to get IN when everything that's been high for so long crashes as has been Juneau's radical boom/bust cycle over its history.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Get you a 24 foot hughescraft searunner and trailer it.You will be lots of money ahead and with bunks on the trailer,you will be in and out of the launch in a jiff.Very seaworthy boat.Just don't want to launch on a minus tide in the juneau area.You can pull your boat to 4 different launches and save yourself alot of running time on the water. Frank