Thread: Fishing spots in Mat Su

Default Fishing spots in Mat Su

Well, I've decided to head out to the mat su to do some king fishing. I've never fished out there before so I have no clue where to fish. I was wondering if you guys can point me to the best fishing spots out there. I dont have a boat so I need a place where i can fish off from the banks or a stream where the water is about knee high. Thanks in advance and if you can include a map in your posts, that would be great!

What species are you fishing for?

Kings - I'd head to Burma Landing and hike up or down to fish the banks.
    Trout - Id head to some of the area lakes, reference the ADFG stocking report

Just looking for some good salmon fishing near anchorage. Ship Creek is bad luck.. for me anyway hahah

taken from the matsu king derby 2009 website.

As of June 5 Kings are in!!!. Water clarity is fair. The hot weather has increased the glacial melt that feeds this stream and is causing the Kashwitna to run a little dirty. Give is a couple days to settle out and the water should begin to clear a bit. You can expect to hook a couple of fish per hour if you stick with it. This is the best early season King fishery on the Susitna Drainage that can be accessed from the Parks Highway. A lot of Kings hooked-up on June 3rd with several really nice ones coming to the boat.

Where is the Susitna Drainage? Are we able to fish from the banks?

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonSlut View Post

Where is the Susitna Drainage? Are we able to fish from the banks?

It's a drainage....Not a single river.

Do you have a map or a copy of the regs?

Pretty self explanatory....

Default Kashwitna

Can you access the Kashwitna mouth by hiking from the Parks Highway bridge? Is there good bank fishing here or do you have to have a boat?

Quote Originally Posted by biglou View Post
    Can you access the Kashwitna mouth by hiking from the Parks Highway bridge? Is there good bank fishing here or do you have to have a boat?

You could, but it would be a long hike To access the mouth by vehicle just go to Susitna Landing, pay to park and your there. As far as bank fishing, I guess you could. I've only fished there a couple times and never really saw anyone fishing from shore, pretty much everyone was in a boat.

Never mind the fact that the only river given the nod as THE place to fish is also the one that's charging you an access fee to fish their bank or launch your boat.
    Sorry, there's other places to fish that don't have an infomercial on the Matsu Derby

You can fish the Kashwitna from the bank. Most people fish it right at the mouth with the Susitna. Spinners or corkies/yarn with some weight to get it bouncing along the bottom. I think it is about $10 to park for the day. It is also a very clean and well kept campground. The other area rivers are starting to see fish too - Montana, Sheep, (not sure about the Willow). The Little Sue is also accessable for bank fishing, however a boat is much more effective. Good Luck. :-)