Thread: Most Accurate 358win powder

Default Most Accurate 358win powder

So far I have H4895 but what to try a powder for 200/225gr bullets.

I am thinking of AA2520, AA2495. I have TAC, 2495, and Varget but westerns balistition says X-termiator or AA2520 would be first choices.

When I first started reloading I had trouble getting enough Varget in a case and keeping the OCL before Factory crimping on a spire point 200gr. No issues with H4895 and case capacity. I bought the 2495 before knowing how corse it is. I did a quick check and figure I can get 49grs in with 200grainers not sure of the 225gr bullets. Varget is smaller so maybe I will try it again to see if it will work.

I will need to get AA's load data as well. I have Nosler, Horandy, & Speer's latest manuals as well as some older ones too.

I have a 20.5" barrel on a 700 action so I think faster powders may work better??? 2400-2500fps is all the velcity I need and the 225gr is where would like say 2430-2450fps for max distance and 2450-2500fps is just fine for the 200gr bullets and say 0-200 yds.

One last question how well does the Sierra 225gr work on deer? I need fast expantion on them. And I figure if I have a good sierra load I not far from a 225 partition load with some tweeks. But the 200's work on deer so the would be fine for most of my hunting.

I use H322 in my 358 BLR with a 200 Hornady SP. I have tried H335, Varget, IMR-4895, RL 15, W748 with the 200 Horn and 225 Sierra BTSP. I am still favoring 322 right now. 335 and 748 have a large muzzle flash from my 20 inch barrel with similar velocity to 322. Varget & RL 15 were a little slow for the 200 gr bullets and just did not get the velocity I was looking for with them. 4895 is accurate but no better than 322 in my rifle.

I think Varget is about as good for the 225's, but H322 has performed well enough for me that I really haven't searched for a subsititute, not to mention how difficult it is to find powder. I have a friend that uses TAC in his 358 for everything, but I have not tried it.

The 200's work so well on deer I've not tried 225's in the 358, but I use 225 Sierra's in my 35 Whelen (RL 15) at about 2650 fps muzzle velocity and they have performed very well for me. Normally expansion appears significant and internal trauma is massive. I have not recovered one from a whitetail yet, but I have not shot a whitetail over 160 lbs with that load. I would suspect good performance out of the 358 with the Sierra. If I use my 358 for moose or black bear this fall it will be with either the Sierra or the 250 Horn RN, haven't decided just yet, depends on the unit we might hunt and what the ranges are likely to be.

Thanks for the information.

I got TAC for the 35rem and its a good powder for it. I can get the same velocity with it as H4895 (2180fps) but where is better than H4895 is IF you have a 20" or longer barrel it will do 2250fps this is with 200 CLRN's. I have a 18.5" ported barrel so I ran of barrel and saw no increase in velocity. Tac in the 35rem case is slower than H4895. TAC is one very clean powder too.

I think I try th H322 and the TAC I have for the 358win. I have just used Hornady 200gr spire point, but may try the rem 200gr PSP CL which I have used in my whelen for deer love its performance. I have only shot one deer with the hornady at 60 yards quartering on, thought it was more braod side but I didn't find the bullet and it took out one lung and the liver without an exit, so angled it must have been. the deer went 15 yards and slowly tipped over so it worked. Do you get exit wounds? The CL PSP always did.

I can afford to use the partition for all my hunting its the cost of working up loads the bites. If I hear more good things about the sierra it could be the only bullet I need for deer, black bear, and moose for the 358.

My gun is a 700 with a Shilen #3 at 20.5" so I think I should expect MOA maybe more mybe less. It has a VXII 1.5-5 but I think a 1.75-6 would be perfect for my expected 20-150 maybe 200 yards shots. I have the 35rem for 0-100 yards stuff with a VXII 1-4. I was disapointed with my groups or lack of at 200 yards but could hit clay pidgens 80% of the time and I am not zeroed for 200 yards but olny 1.5" high at 100 yards with the 1.5-5.

Keep the 358 data coming please.

I killed 8 deer with my 358 last year and had pass throughs on 6 of them. Recovered the other two bullets: one weighed 145 grains from a 90 lbs doe and the other about 80 grains from a 136 lbs 5 point. Both were killed inside 15 yards and neither deer moved after it fell. The other six deer were killed at various ranges from 20-60 yards and only two moved from the time they were shot. One ran about 5 leaps and fell dead the other ran less than 50 paces and fell dead. These were all shot in the mountains of NC and the ranges are close due to the laurel thickets I hunt there. I used the 200 Horn SP at a muzzle velocity just shy of 2500 fps from my 20 inch barrel. While there are other bullets that would undoubtedly give more penetration, it would be a trade off in other areas. In shooting I figure I must always make some type of compromise. I know that at this close range the Hornady's are not going to give me several feet of penetration, but they are devastating killers and are inexpensive enough that I can shoot hundreds of them in the off season.

I have used all manner of rifles in this area in the past and I have not found anything that is more effective than this lightweight 358 and the 200 Horn SP. Just for info I have a M8 3X Leupold in Talley lightweight mounts; pretty slick outfit. Just for the record I have no trouble holding 4-5 inch groups at 200 yards with support, not a benchrest. I have more accurate rifles and more powerful rifles, but they are not better balanced for this type of hunting

Default .358 Win.

I was wondering what rifle you have? I have not reloaded for my .358 yet but it loves factory ammo. I really like this cartridge and look forward to more research with it. I have an 18 inch barrel on my Ruger M77. I believe this is Ruger's rarest chambering for the M77 (no it is not for sale!) I have noticed an upswing in the popularity of this round and for good reason. Well, good luck with yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Gameon375 View Post
    I was wondering what rifle you have? I have not reloaded for my .358 yet but it loves factory ammo. I really like this cartridge and look forward to more research with it. I have an 18 inch barrel on my Ruger M77. I believe this is Ruger's rarest chambering for the M77 (no it is not for sale!) I have noticed an upswing in the popularity of this round and for good reason. Well, good luck with yours.
    Remington 700 Classic with a Shilen #3, 20 1/2 inch, 1:14 twist barrel, VXIII 1.5-5. Made one year before Ruger offered the 358win/338fed, but I am very happy with it perfect handling/balance/looks and only 40.25" OAL.

What was the H322 loads for the 200 & 225gr bullets? This seem to be a fast barrel I got velocties before the max listed charges, the 200gr @ 2488fps with 46.7grs of H4895 listed max is 48.0grs, the 225gr partition did 2430fps with 46.5grs.

Sounds like you also have a nice small compact setup. The compact and dangerous game style scopes make these smaller rifles so handy and fast. My Ruger is from the early 80's I believe and I think there were less than 700 of them produced. My friend has one of the current models and it is nice to see this cartridge come back a bit. I'll make a posting when I get going on this cartridge on the bench. I have some 225 TSX's I'm going to try. I'm interested to see how much velocity I loose with the 18" barrel, It shouldn't be much.