Thread: Converting from prop to jet

Default Converting from prop to jet

I'm tired of grinding gravel & rocks so i'd like to put a jet unit on my 50hp yammie 4stroke. I think the swap of the lower units would be quite easy but i have a center console on the boat (18' G3 ) so i'm wondering what gets done for the forward & reverse cable? do i have to lengthen it to reach down to the jet or is there some kind of linkage that goes from the motor down to the jet. Oh yeah one other thing?? who's got the best deal on a jet unit in town??
    Thanks guys,
    Steve

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Thumbs up I'll Try

To answer your questions Pete. I'm no expert, but have done this a couple of times.

First off, there is only one maufacturer of jet unit that will bolt on to convential outboards. It is Specialty Manufacturing Comapany out of San Leandro California. Call them at (510) 562-6049‎ to be sure they make one for your out board.

Mounting: Typically, you will need to re-maount your outboard 5-6" higher on your transom. This will line up the jet foot with the bottom of your boat. This can be done with a transom extension plate (permenant) or an adjustable jack plate.

Cables: Your forward and reverse cable goes to the nozzle gate and will need to be 18-24" longer. There is a 4' slave cable that runs from the nozzle gate up to your trottle.

I think that's about it. Call me if your going to do this, I have an aluminum welded transom plate I can barter with you on.

Doug
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

I swap between lower units.

Real jet boaters don't use the reverse bucket on the jet (they take it off) and therefore don't have to worry about that cable.

Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by Doug from Anchorage View Post
    To answer your questions Pete. I'm no expert, but have done this a couple of times.

First off, there is only one maufacturer of jet unit that will bolt on to convential outboards. It is Specialty Manufacturing Comapany out of San Leandro California. Call them at (510) 562-6049‎ to be sure they make one for your out board.

Mounting: Typically, you will need to re-maount your outboard 5-6" higher on your transom. This will line up the jet foot with the bottom of your boat. This can be done with a transom extension plate (permenant) or an adjustable jack plate.

Cables: Your forward and reverse cable goes to the nozzle gate and will need to be 18-24" longer. There is a 4' slave cable that runs from the nozzle gate up to your trottle.

I think that's about it. Call me if your going to do this, I have an aluminum welded transom plate I can barter with you on.

Doug
    Hi Doug,
    This is Steve da potbuilder not pete . Thanks for the info, i'm sure they make a jet for my motor i was just wondering what it takes to make the swap, sounds easy enough. My rig has one of those electric/hydraulic jack plates on it already so i'm thinking that will make things go a bit easier. The longer cable sounds easy also. Now which one of the guys in town are the best to get a unit from???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post

Real jet boaters don't use the reverse bucket on the jet (they take it off) and therefore don't have to worry about that cable.

Sobie2
    So how do real jet boaters stop/backup ???

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Hi Doug,
    This is Steve da potbuilder not pete .
    My bad Steve. I can't remember my kids names, let alone yours. Sorry about that.

Did you call the manufacturer? They will know how you can get one, I'm sure.
    how to act in public

Default dealers

Nearest Dealers
    Distance: 0 miles
    AK MINING & DIVING SUPPLY
    ANCHORAGE , AK
    Phone: 907-279-6113

Distance: 0 miles
    MARITA SEA & SKI
    ANCHORAGE , AK
    Phone: 907-337-2744

Distance: 6.9 miles
    A-1 PROPELLER & IMPELLER
    ANCHORAGE , AK
    Phone: 907-344-7767

BURKSHORE MARINA LLC.
    ANCHORAGE , AK
    Phone: 907-892-6300

DEWEY'S COOK INLET, INC.
    ANCHORAGE , AK
    Phone: 907-344-5092

J. KIMBERLY SERVICE
    ANCHORAGE , AK
    Phone: 907-349-1894

Distance: 7.7 miles
    ANCHORAGE YAMAHA
    ANCHORAGE , AK
    Phone: 907-243-4903

Distance: 24.6 miles
    BIG LAKE MARINE
    BIG LAKE , AK
    Phone: 907-892-6333

Distance: 24.6 miles
    SOUTHPORT MARINA
    BIG LAKE , AK
    Phone: 907-892-2628

Distance: 36 miles
    GREATLAND WELDING & MACHINE
    PALMER , AK
    Phone: 907-745-2383
    how to act in public

Default Greatland Welding

Steve,
    Check with Gary at Greatland welding on the Palmer Wasilla, 1/2 mile east of four corners.
    He usually has better prices than the dealers and his service is excellent.
    If you need any help, give me a call.
    BK
    PS-We did excellent on our last two outings in the Sound using your pots for shrimping!

Whether your transom requires raising depends on what shaft length your prop motor is. Obviously Outboard Jet makes an applicable unit since they're all over the rivers. My first instinct would be to call Dewey's and discuss the particulars. Nobody around here sells or sets up more Yamaha outboards than them.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Hi Doug,
    This is Steve da potbuilder not pete . Thanks for the info, i'm sure they make a jet for my motor i was just wondering what it takes to make the swap, sounds easy enough. My rig has one of those electric/hydraulic jack plates on it already so i'm thinking that will make things go a bit easier. The longer cable sounds easy also. Now which one of the guys in town are the best to get a unit from???
    Steve,
    I dont know what brand of hydro jack plate you have, but be aware some do not have enough stroke to go from jet to prop. I know some of the older ones had 8" of stroke but many are only 4-1/2"-5" and often that is not quite enuf.

Thumbs up have at it!

easy swap ,i carry both jet & prop units on my longer trips . i don't let the water cond stop me. ( well NO water kills me) ..do the Math .. run your prop high/ but not to high so that u don't "blow out" on sharp turns...the lift plates rule... a swap between prop an jet in < 30 mins on the river bank ......after u do it a few times and have "it set up " never needed any cables other than what i had on the boat..
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Default Really

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post

Sobie2

Certainly they aren't a necessity but as long as they offer any kind of back up, I'll keep mine on. The one on my 60/40 works great. That said, I've had older ones start to wear or get out of alignment and then slam up while going full tilt....now that's exciting. And they were soon removed.

So I wouldn't say real jet boaters don't use the reverse bucket....I'd say the ones that don't use em should learn to drive so they don't keep knockin the bucket off

You don't back up... the reverse bucket is practically worthless, and they often flip up when banged on the bottom (and at the most in opportune time). They are not used in regulating throttle. You'll understand when you see one.

Sobie2

How are you banging the reverse gate on the bottom when that big intake housing/gravel sucker is sitting right in front of and lower than the nozzle?

All my adult life I've run outboard jets. Always with a reverse gate. I've never had a failure. Guys with reverse problems are usually guys who don't do maintenance. Keep the reverse cable adjusted and the pivot bushings in good shape and you'll never have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    How are you banging the reverse gate on the bottom when that big intake housing/gravel sucker is sitting right in front of and lower than the nozzle?

All my adult life I've run outboard jets. Always with a reverse gate. I've never had a failure. Guys with reverse problems are usually guys who don't do maintenance. Keep the reverse cable adjusted and the pivot bushings in good shape and you'll never have a problem.

That's definitely the biggest issue....wear and misalignment, but like ya said, a little maintenance and it's no big whoop.

Boats without reverse cup are overall a pain in the butt....and will almost always require more hassle even when you have plenty of water to maneuver to get pointed the way you want to go.

Default Jet to Prop

Steve,

I switch from prop to jet on my Suzuki DF140. I also have a hydraulic jack plate. It is pretty simple. The shift cable goes to the bucket, then a feedback cable goes, from the bucket, to the neutral safety switch, the throttle cable goes, were it is supposed to. If you need some help, I am just off the Old Glenn about 4 miles out of Palmer. You can come look at my jet or I can just help.

akjeff

Thanks to everyone for all the replies, i've got to get away from the potbarn and shop for a jet unit then i'll be back reporting how big a mess i've gotten myself into.
    Steve

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692