Thread: What TIME of DAY do bears hit your station...?????

Default What TIME of DAY do bears hit your station...?????

What time of day are bears hitting your station, and has this time changed with the additional daylight over say 3 weeks ago. Do the browns or the black prefer the cloak of dark.....???? Or any observations you have about feeding time pattens.....Thank you

The last time I baited using trailcams with a time stamp....the bears usually hit my bait within 15 minutes of me refilling it and leaving, which was about 9pm to 10pm. They must've been watching.

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUX View Post
    The last time I baited using trailcams with a time stamp....the bears usually hit my bait within 15 minutes of me refilling it and leaving, which was about 9pm to 10pm. They must've been watching.
    I wonder if it is the sound of the restocking that is the dinner bell.

Default bears

All hours, morning, afternoon,and evening. I have them coming in round the clock

IMO the bears have a pattern of hitting bait stations. They tend to move more in the evening when it is cooler. But have been seen throughout bait stations at all hours of the day. We have had the best luck hunting our stands after 10pm. Time stamps indicate one of our bears comes in at 7am, 3pm and after 9pm for the same bear. But different ones come in more regularly after 10pm

Good Luck
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Quote Originally Posted by baitem907 View Post
    IMO the bears have a pattern of hitting bait stations. They tend to move more in the evening when it is cooler. But have been seen throughout bait stations at all hours of the day. We have had the best luck hunting our stands after 10pm. Time stamps indicate one of our bears comes in at 7am, 3pm and after 9pm for the same bear. But different ones come in more regularly after 10pm

Good Luck

Do you think that they have a regular circle of feeding stations, that buts them back at the same station at roughly the same time......????

Yes, I think they get into their own personal patterens as long as you are keeping up with re stocking the bait. I have seen many a bear as Baitem907 stated come in morning, late afternoon, and late evening and keep that pattern up as long as I am bringing bait every 3 days. I think alot of the time the big dominate boars will have a regular pattern of eating, going off to cool down and nap and then coming back to eat. Other factors include the smaller bears sneaking in quietly to grab a bite while the big boys are gone. More then once I have had big bears chased up a Cottenwood near the stand by a even BIGGER bear, only to sit on a big limb waiting for his turn to come down to eat. I have a video I named "The Tree bear" of a bear I shot that went 6'-8" and fell 30' after getting nailed. Only to have my buddy take a 6'-10", 45 minutes later at the stand. Oh by the way, I had the biggest bear in 17 years taken from my stand by a 14 year old a couple of nights ago that went an honest 7'-1". Fosters Tax says it's the largest brought in this year to date for them. It came into the at 3:30am! I am waiting for the photos by email and will post when I can. Heading up on a suiside run in a few hours with my 9 year old daughter to bag one. Good luck to all!

no hits for a couple weeks.
    Paul

They always come to mine anytime I am not there.

One year was having lots of hits day and night but could not get the bears and my schedule to agree. I was baiting only on Saturdays and them hunting that day and the next. After several weeks of no luck I did a graph of all of the visits recorded on my trail cam and determined that the best time was from 3:00 to 6:00 the second and third day after I rebated. I drove up after work and rebated on the next Wednesday late at night and I killed a bear at 4:30 on that Saturday.

Default tricky bears

I had different bears coming in at all hours, morning, noon and night. One bear that I wanted always came in at the same time so I would get to my stand a couple hours earlier than him. He never came. One day after sitting for about 6 hrs. I got down to walk around and check trails. I walked behind my stand looking for a trail, didn't see one so went back towards my stand. I was gone about 5 minutes. I looked towards my bait and there he was, head in the barrel. He must have been watching me all the time and when I would leave he would come in. I would always have pics of him about 5-15 minutes after I left stand. I'm glad I got nosey that day and decided to walk around a bit. He looks nice on the wall.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I have a similar story to that, but different ending. Before I had a trail cam I could see sign that a large bear was using the bait, but no good tracks or hair to determine size or species. Left the stand one night and stood my barrel back up, rattling the chain in the process. Walked up one trail and hung a scent wick, then back to my stand to pack up. Heard a bear coming in from a ways out, so I just crouched down beside my stand. A few seconds later, a very large sow griz popped over the ridgeline about 10 yards away, followed by juniors #1 and #2. She caught my wind or some movement, and beat feet- fortunately away from rather than toward me. This was the only time she ever came in while I was in the area, but I did get some pics of her and the cubs later in the season.

As to times, the camera made a world of difference. I found that the mornings were seeing a lot of activity, and also just before I would arrive in the evening, and about an hour after I left were the key times. Shot a decent bear at 11 am the day I was finally able to hit it in the am. No skinning and packing in the dark! Yay!

It sounds like varying the time of hunting would be good practice for baiter's. Do most baiter's use a call when in the stand.....? I should think after the first hour of nothing it might help success.

I have never used a call but I have been hearing about more and more people using them. I guess it wouldn't hurt.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Default Spring Bear Stats

Here's my numbers, for spring bear, by time - four years of evaluated data.

0500-0800 12% of hits
    0900-1100 13% of hits
    1200-1500 16% of hits
    1600-1900 25% of hits
    2000-0000 26% of hits
    This information has been compiled at one bait stand, on the Kenai peninsula.
    I did not include numbers from midnight until 0500 because it's just a bit dark to even have a shot, and, surprisingly, the numbers are relatively low.

Those are black bear hits, not browny - I don't care when they come, can't shoot them over bait on the Kenai Pen.

Hope it helps someone.