Thread: Whittier Kings

Default Whittier Kings

I understand that there are kings to be caught in Whittier. What type of rig is the most effective? Is this a troll fishery? Where about in the bay?
    How big are the fish?

Default Yup there is

I understand that there are kings to be caught in Whittier. Yes

What type of rig is the most effective? Hearing Weight & Flasher

Is this a troll fishery? Troll or Jig

Where about in the bay? The end,& deep, but I never fish there, South Esther Passage, North Colross Passage

How big are the fish? Small last one was 10# biggest 30#

When is the best time? May? June?

There was, and may still be?? a terminal fishery in Whittier. I don't think it ever worked out real well, but I know some folks who'd just watch from shore, wait for one to swim by, and attempt to snag it. I got one accidentally 2 summers ago that was still kicking around in the harbor when I was fishing for silvers.

Default Used to be..

Quote Originally Posted by akpolaris View Post
    I understand that there are kings to be caught in Whittier. What type of rig is the most effective? Is this a troll fishery? Where about in the bay?
    How big are the fish?
    This is a terminal salt water fishery and these fish used to be raised at Ester, but now I beleive the state plants them... Regardless, the two summers I worked at Ester we had the best luck casting eggs and no wieght to area's where we knew the fish would be and or sight fished them... Casting lures and flies could be effective at times and by far the least effective and least sporting method was signt snagging them.

Once you figure out the tide pattern for a particular are these fish are very predictible from day to day and will be traveling in schools... At Ester they would be at the very upper most limit of the bay exactly at low tide change every day..... We would slay them there on low tide change and to this day is some of the very best king fishing I have ever encountered anywhere.

There's a spot near the harbor. Aside from giving too much info, fish where the fish parts are pumped through a hose. The herring feed there and the kings and halibut abide as well.