Thread: Dumpster Diver Strikes Again

Default Dumpster Diver Strikes Again

What is it with certain folks? I guess I ran into one of those PO'd girlfriend things.
    I recently found a large red Exum Marmot 3ply shell in the Dumpster. It is just the right size for my 15 year old son. It looks like it has been used for three or four months but it is in pretty good shape and has no rips, perfect zips and other things.

I have found that the pickings have been a lot less than they have been in the past with several individuals choosing "recycling" as a career path.
    I am wondering if other people have made good finds recently?

Sincerely,
    Best of luck for all who scrimp and salvage.

Thomas

I'll start by stating that my girlfriend has been very receptive and supportive for my wanting to go check out the transfer sites as I'm looking for a few things to complete projects. She even checks them out too for pieces that she can practice welding / cutting on!

Recently I picked up 2-100lb propane cylinders, still within certification and have now been filled, so they can be used in my propane cutting assembly. Also got another oxygen cylinder that I need to go exchange, full size to boot. This cuts down on my acetylene usage by more than I care to explain.

Found a motor that I could get plenty of parts off of to work with 2 of my IH Scouts. Pulled the head, manifolds, distributor cap and water pump. Left the block as it it was seized. If I had more than a pair of vise grips and a 3/4" wrench, I woulda pulled the clutch assembly with pressure plate to boot. (Lessons learned, have now put a full set of cheap tools in the girlfriends rig.)

Have recently located several pressure tanks that are being modified for impromptu steam cleaners / thawers for winter usage. Gas fired water heaters and sign posts / pipes have also made their way towards becoming lawn / road rollers!

Also located several rims that fit my vehicles, have yet to get them tested, but beat buying them from the scrap yards @ $50 each!!

So although the pickings have been slim, there's been a few good finds.

There are things to be found and reused if you catch the site at the right time. Saw someone making off with what appeared to be a nice I-Mac last night from one location.

Good luck to the other "searchers" out there. If anyone in Fbx area finds a set of turf tires (13x5-6) from one of those lawn carts that HD & Lowes sells, I'm interested in getting the rims (have one that needs replacement).

I just about cry every time I go to the transfer station here in Anchorage. "Progressive" Anchorage doesn't have a place where you can pick over stuff people throw out. Last time I went to the transfer station I watched the loader crush a diamond plate truck box so new the metal was still shiny! What a waste.

Default Aleknagik Dump

The Aleknagik dump on the south shore was my favorite. There are a lot of lodges around there that must have perfect stuff I guess. I got a 12' zodiak that only needed a small patch, 10' X 10' dome tent that I've used for several years, a huge pile of topo maps of the area that were new, ugly stick fishing rod (not good enough for $1,000 day lodge) and tons more. I figure I have got WAY over $1,000 of gear not including the zodiac. Every year with the lodges new shipment of Sage fly rods, they would throw out all of their brand spankin' new rod tubes still in plastic. It was a game to see who got them first. I got them one year and got about 30 tubes. A buddy of mine got a brand new generator that had the choke button broke off. Another buddy got a 15' zodiac that didn't need a patch. I miss those days.

DANG goaty! Those are some scores! I never found much good outdoors stuff. I did pick up a 3 year old washer and dryer (manufacture data plate). They were side by side and my equipment repair persona came out. I looked at my wife and said "no way they are both broke" sure enough the dryer worked like a champ. The washer would fill but wouldn't start. I took the cover off and snapped the lid switch back in place, walla (you ever notice that when you lift the washer lid it stops? this switch is why)! Perfectly good near new washer and dryer for FREE.
    I would gladly trade them for a zodiak though!

Default How to ask?

So, what, you just pull up and tell them your there to look over the trash? You scoring at the E.R. dump? Don't understand? You pretending your dumping and browse the dump? What?

I've gotten pretty lucky with two finds for paintball projects in the past month.

I had been eyeing one of these nerf guns for a few months and considering buying one for a paintball gun modification project. However, i wasn't willing to fork out $50 for something that im not sure will work. I found this guy in oklahoma about a month ago sitting in a trash pile. One of the darts had gotten jammed and stopped the ammo belt from feeding. Less than two minutes after i picked it up it was running smoothly.
    http://www.walyou.com/img/nerf-vulcan-gun1.jpg

Then about 2 weeks ago I got an idea in my head for mounting my paintball cannon on a wagon and making an artillery emplacement out of it. Yesterday i was driving around toronto and i saw one of these wagons in red. It was on an old mattress lying on the sidewalk next to the trash cans.
    http://www.littletikes.com/toys/adventure-wagon.aspx

Neither of these were very valuable finds but both of them were exactly what i was wanting, and i didnt even have to go searching for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbear View Post
    So, what, you just pull up and tell them your there to look over the trash? You scoring at the E.R. dump? Don't understand? You pretending your dumping and browse the dump? What?
    The transfer sites in the Fairbanks area are a collection of dumpsters away from the main dump. Rural residents drive into them to get rid of the trash that they have. It is very easy to walk around and look in the dumpsters to see what has been tossed.

For example, just a few nights ago, I got several more packs, 2 laptops, a full size part washer (only missing a caster, but pump worked & held fluid), and 8' of railroad rail.

Don't know how you'd do it when you have to go to the actual dumip as they typically weigh your vehicle on your way out too.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

you know i don't mind the recycleing guys... but what really torques me is to put my trash in the dumpster and have a guy come along with a stick and start ripping it open...

i have to screen EVERY piece of paper i toss. i mean COME ON it is diapers and kitchen trash....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    you know i don't mind the recycleing guys... but what really torques me is to put my trash in the dumpster and have a guy come along with a stick and start ripping it open...

i have to screen EVERY piece of paper i toss. i mean COME ON it is diapers and kitchen trash....

I have to agree with you Vince on that point. I am not one to rip open any bags, but see it done all the time. I personally burn 99% of the paper products in the burn barrel, so that isn't much of a concern for me, but one never knows what is in that bag and you don't want to get sick from some of that stuff.

Default Campground dumpsters

Have seen several people dumpster diving at campgrounds on the peninsula.
    At first I thought they were nuts,but, then they pulled out some perfectly good hip boots and a cheap salmon combo rod and reel.
    The guy explained it to me like this: he had a couple of young boys just learning to fish and they were pretty hard on gear. A lot of these tourists buy a pair of $15 hip boots and a el-cheapo $25 salmon combos.
    Most don't want to take it home and these items have little value when used for a week or two. So they often pitch it in the dumpster of the last campground they stayed at.
    His kids could use the heck out of these things and when they get older having learned how to cast and having outgrown several pairs of boots he might buy them some better quality gear.
    Might have to start checking the local campground dumpsters.
    Just an idea CHRIS