Thread: alchohol burners in boats what/where?

Default alchohol burners in boats what/where?

I have a 2 burner alcohol stove top set up in the boat and want to know if there is a special fuel designed for this and who sells it.
    I lit it the other day and the fumes were so bad my eyes started watering like someone cut an onion,I think the previous owner used lacquer thinner in it or something ,it ran us out of the cabin.!
    thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigbruiser_72 View Post
    I have a 2 burner alcohol stove top set up in the boat and want to know if there is a special fuel designed for this and who sells it.
    I lit it the other day and the fumes were so bad my eyes started watering like someone cut an onion,I think the previous owner used lacquer thinner in it or something ,it ran us out of the cabin.!
    thanks
    West Marine in Anchorage....I would bet..
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default Heet?

I know some dog mushers who use Heet for their alcohol cookers. This is the same stuff used to remove water from your gas tank comes in little yellow bottles. Might be worth a try and it is available almost anywhere. I believe this stuff is pure alcohol. Just an idea. CHRIS

Default hardware store...

About any hardware store should have it. Call Alaska Industrial Hardware, Sportsmen's Warehouse, West Marine, etc. I have used one for years, with out the odor you describe. If you can't burn that smell out you may have to order a replacement part.

Default Denatured Alcohol

Those stoves are designed to use denatured alcohol which can be picked up at any hardware store.

Slow cooking on one of those make sure you have lots of time if you're looking to prepare a meal.