Thread: Gold pan ?

Default Gold pan ?

Any place in wasilla to pick up about 5 of the cheap plastic black gold pans ?

Thanks
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Default Pan

Try Walmart, if on the Penn Trustworth normally has them for about $2 in tourist season

Default Good Gold Pans

Why not just buy a few of the good Green colored gold pans. My personal preference is the Proline Professional pan. The Keene sp 14 super pan, Garret super sluice and their regular pan , GPAA pan all work great. 10 times better than the black ones and way easier to use. Better gold recovery too. Cost is about $8 ea. a little spendier but way worth it.
    Best places to find these pans is AK mining and diving or Joes in north kenai. Joe sells mining gear out of his laundromat just north of Kenai. Just my $.02
    CHRIS

try Debs coins and collectibles close to pittman rd

I agree with Chris - the black pans are terrible. Go with the green ones with the deep riffles cut into them. If you want someone to never go gold prospecting again, give them a black pan. I've seen even experienced panners lose gold in those and I'll never use one.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeser View Post
    I agree with Chris - the black pans are terrible. Go with the green ones with the deep riffles cut into them. If you want someone to never go gold prospecting again, give them a black pan. I've seen even experienced panners lose gold in those and I'll never use one.

i use the garret super pan or whatever it called and works 1000000 times better than the black crappy pans.. but AKMINING is where I got mine

And to think I bought the last black gold pan at Sportsman's Warehouse this past Saturday!

Talking Gold Pans

They've still got lots of them at Soldotna Hardware!

You guys are soooo bad! Go with the Garret or Keene pan.

i just found 10 of them for under 3 bucks at the walmart in the valley, my kids can break a lot of them at that price.

Talking

What ever happened to the old rusty metal pans?, Worked for the old timers.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    So did burros! :-)
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    That's what I have and I have no complaints.
    I have not had much luck finding gold out here but up on the Yukon I had a fair bit of success.

Thumbs up Green Pans

Just like most of us don't ride burrows anymore there have been some advancements in the mining industry since the turn of the century. The new gold pans they make now are a good example.
    The large riffles found in these pans help trap the heavy material (gold) in your pan. This means less gold lost especially for beginners or those who's panning skills may be a little rusty. They also allow those who are very good at panning to pan faster and more efficiently with the piece of mind that they are not losing any fine gold.
    Sure the old metal pans work the newer ones are just easier to use.That and they don't rust out. If you are a beginner you may lose a few specs of gold very easily out of your pan witch in some areas may be all you may find when you are first starting out. The Newer larger riffled pans will ensure you lose less gold if used properly.
    Like I said before they only cost about $8 and at the current price of gold you could loose that out of your pan in one panful (say cleaning concentrates from larger equipment)if you are not careful.
    I know I will spend more than $8 every time I go recreational mining just on food.
    Use what works for you and what you are comfortable with.
    If you want to have a panning test to see witch pan will retain the most flour gold ( if you are saving the fine stuff there's no way are you losing the big stuff) I am up for that.
    My point is for an extra $6 or $7 you can get the pan used by professionals worldwide. If you are too cheap to buy a good one I don't want to hear any griping about not finding any gold.
    Just my $.02 Chris
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Default Kids Panning

Forgot to mention if your kids are breaking plastic gold pans you must go through a lot of toys.
    Most of these new green pans are nearly indestructible. They might lose one but it would be real hard to break one.
    You get what you pay for with those $2 pans.
    So long as you are getting out into the great outdoors with your kids and away from the video games it really doesn't matter what kind of pan you use.Even if they lose some gold over the lip of the pan. They will cherish those moments with dad forever.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"