Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: .325 WSM / .300 WSM for Wife

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    192

    Default .325 WSM / .300 WSM for Wife

    Hey all...

    I have a great .325 WSM that I hunt with and love. Recently my wife has expressed an interest in going hunting with me, which I am thrilled about. I want to get something for her that will help her build her confidence but also want it to be capable to taking most African game. Like I said, I love my .325 WSM. I went with it because I like the short action / short barrel / light rifles. The 8mm bullet makes a larger cavity, etc.

    However, for recoil purposes I am strongly considering going with the .300 WSM for her. I have a couple of friends that have these and use them for everything, Moose, Blk Bear, Brown Bear, etc. Question is how reliable is the .300 WSM on big moose and/or browns assuming I can get her on one (a guy has to dream!).

    Thanks in advance....

  2. #2
    Member 1Cor15:19's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dillingham, AK
    Posts
    2,482

    Default

    The 300 magnums of various sorts are enough for anything in North America with the proper bullet. The 30/06 has been effective on all North America for years and the magnums will increase your effective range by 50-100 yards with all bullet weights. None of my business, but a 300 in any magnum variety has pretty stout recoil. Personally I doubt you will notice any real difference in recoil of your 325 and a 300.

    Have you considered a 30/06, 338/06, 35 Whelen or the short action counterparts, 308, 338 Federal, 358? In my assessment the lesser cartridges will perform as well as the bigger ones albeit at a little less range. Say 250 or so yards for the 308 family, 275-300 for the 06 family and 325-350 with the magnums. I know that 250 does not sound that far, but for a new hunter it's a pretty fair poke, further than most oldtimers have ever shot moose or big bears. Just my .02$.

  3. #3
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,416

    Default

    What is she going to hunt for starters? Caribou and Moose? Deer? Why not start off with a .308 and then when she is ready go for brownie or Africa get something more appropriate? Like a 375 H&H

    But, having said that, my 325 Kimber has less felt recoil than my old wood/blue Ruger 06. I did have my Kimber Mag-na-ported and that tamed the muzzle jump by about 95%. She might like it. Then you can both carry the same ammo. If you are in Fairbanks you and her can shoot it if you want. Shoot me a pm.

  4. #4

    Default

    I shoot a Tikka T3 Lite in 300 wsm. It's basically not "fun" to shoot because of the recoil. However, I always stuff something on my shoulder for cushion, installed a limbsaver, and shoot it well w/o a flinch.

    You likely already know that with proper bullet placement the .30 caliber magnums will perform very nicely for the animals you described. Mine puts down moose, interior grizz, and other big game quite nicely. Good luck.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    192

    Default

    Synd,

    Great idea. I have tossed around the idea of the 325 for her since it would be incredibly convenient and I don't find the felt recoil to be that great. I never thought about magna porting it but thats a great idea. Didn't want to go with an "entry" level caliber first because I wanted to go with a single rifle for simplicity. We are in Eagle River, but appreciate the offer to shoot with you. Where did you get the magna porting done, did you send it out?

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jpost View Post
    I shoot a Tikka T3 Lite in 300 wsm. It's basically not "fun" to shoot because of the recoil. However, I always stuff something on my shoulder for cushion, installed a limbsaver, and shoot it well w/o a flinch.

    You likely already know that with proper bullet placement the .30 caliber magnums will perform very nicely for the animals you described. Mine puts down moose, interior grizz, and other big game quite nicely. Good luck.
    Awesome. Thanks!

  7. #7
    Member BrettAKSCI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,623

    Default

    I'm assuming you mean African plains game. A .300 would be fine. You may need to play with a custom rifle or after market butt pads, muzzle breaks, and a scope with plenty of eye relief. It also depends on her size and knowing how to handle recoil. I had a girlfriend who could shoot my .325, but much prefered my .25-06 due to recoil (5'8" 140lbs.). I had another girlfriend who could bearly hold up either one of them let alone steady (5'0" 115lbs.). I hat muzzle breaks and consider them an absolute last resort, but I suppose I may have to break down for a future hunting wife or girlfriend.

    Brett

  8. #8
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    Synd,

    Great idea. I have tossed around the idea of the 325 for her since it would be incredibly convenient and I don't find the felt recoil to be that great. I never thought about magna porting it but thats a great idea. Didn't want to go with an "entry" level caliber first because I wanted to go with a single rifle for simplicity. We are in Eagle River, but appreciate the offer to shoot with you. Where did you get the magna porting done, did you send it out?
    Only Mag-na-port does mag-na-port. It's not a muzzle brake and is designed to tame muzzle flip. They do claim a 15% reduction in recoil but it's not designed to be a recoil reducer like a muzzle brake. Here's the link. I just pulled the scope and stock and mailed them the barrel/action and had it back in 3 weeks. 150 bucks and well worth it. It really tamed the light barreled Kimber. Especially shooting off the bench.What kind of rifle is your 325? http://www.magnaport.com/rifle.html



  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    192

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Only Mag-na-port does mag-na-port. It's not a muzzle brake and is designed to tame muzzle flip. They do claim a 15% reduction in recoil but it's not designed to be a recoil reducer like a muzzle brake. Here's the link. I just pulled the scope and stock and mailed them the barrel/action and had it back in 3 weeks. 150 bucks and well worth it. It really tamed the light barreled Kimber. Especially shooting off the bench.What kind of rifle is your 325? http://www.magnaport.com/rifle.html


    Thanks for the link. Mine is from Hill Country Rifle. I am a southpaw, so I had Montana Rifleman make the barreled action. Hill country put it together with a McMillan synthetic stock, etc. Shoots nice. Does a great job I think. I don't find the recoil to be that bad. It doesn't have a brake or any porting but I can imagine that that would a nice addition.

    My wife is kind of small. Was thinking of the browning BLR. She really likes lever guns. I feel more confident getting her into a .300 wsm figuring that if she can manage that well then she should be good for everything up here; assuming the consensus really is that its big enough for the larger critters up this way.

  10. #10

    Default BLR

    The BLR kicks pretty hard for its small and handy size. You might look for a model 88 Winchester in 308 or a savage 99 in 300 savage if she likes levers. They both kick less.

    I would look into a Kimber Little Sky in 7mm08. It will kill nicely and its a handy package.

    You could go the route I did. I bought my wife a 243 Remington model 660 for our wedding. She has shot a caribou with it. It is a very nifty gun.

    Sincerely,
    Thomas

  11. #11

    Default tikka t3 .300wsm

    I have one and all my kids shoot it. It does have a little "bite" to it, but it will surely kill whatever you want! The. .300wsm is a nasty cartridge. I only shoot 168 and 180 barnes tsx's through it. It has killed about 10 moose and all but 2 went completely through the moose.

  12. #12
    Member Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    3,334

    Default Browning's

    Lakeside,
    One way to go would be a browning with their porting system ( BOSS )that alows you to dial in a load for accuracy. If at some point you don't want it to be ported all you have to do is buy the conventional recoil end and screw off the ported one and screw on the std.
    They offer the Stainless Stalker in 325WSM with BOSS system for sure. I have one in 300Win Mag and it is a real tack driver - however muzzle blast is very loud - wear ear plugs/muffs when shooting. It makes the 300 wm tame down to about a 243 or 270....

  13. #13
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    If she can shoot it then go with the 325. I will say that I don't like the idea of having a 325 and 300 wsm at the range together. I have never tried to feed one into the other but can imagine that it could lead to potentially bad things! My cousin and his wife have a 45 and 40 cals respectively. On our last range trip he accidently fire formed one of the little 40's and though it didn't hurt him it did blow flames out the action as the case ruptured. I can't imagine what would occur if you slammed a 325 home in that 300!

    Has anyone tried to chamber a 325wsm in a 300, just to see if it will fit?

  14. #14
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    If she can shoot it then go with the 325. I will say that I don't like the idea of having a 325 and 300 wsm at the range together. I have never tried to feed one into the other but can imagine that it could lead to potentially bad things! My cousin and his wife have a 45 and 40 cals respectively. On our last range trip he accidently fire formed one of the little 40's and though it didn't hurt him it did blow flames out the action as the case ruptured. I can't imagine what would occur if you slammed a 325 home in that 300!

    Has anyone tried to chamber a 325wsm in a 300, just to see if it will fit?

    Winchester purposely made the shoulder either further out or further in so that the 300 can't be chambered in a 325, not only that....but it won't be possible for the 325 to be chambered in the 300 due to the larger neck diameter. with that said.....when you can load up 100, 110, and 125 grainers in the 300 for lower recoil target shooting......i think the choice is quite obvious.....not to mention that the bullet weights are identical between the two cartidges on the upper end with a way better selection for the 30 cal.

  15. #15
    Member hodgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction AK
    Posts
    4,055

    Default

    I recently have been working with a new .300WSM and I really like it. It bumps pretty hard but its manageble. Working up reduced loads is the next endeavor. I don't think it hits any worse than my '06 and not as bad as my last .300WM. My belief is that its mainly due to stock fit more than anything else.

    If your wife can find a .300WSM that fits I think it would make a good rifle- I'd start with reduced loads and work up. I might even start with something lighter to get her used to recoil (either that or just tell her it kicks and not worry about it).

    As far as performance on game is concerned- the WSM is the ballistic twin of the .300WM and that has a long, long track record on game.

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    One way to go would be a browning with their porting system ( BOSS )that alows you to dial in a load for accuracy. If at some point you don't want it to be ported all you have to do is buy the conventional recoil end and screw off the ported one and screw on the std.
    Unfortunately you then have to work up your loads all over again - the unported weight changes everything.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    192

    Default

    Sounds like the .300 wsm will work great for everything we need it to. I appreciate the ideas from everyone. Will have to purchase something soon and get her going to the range with me. I am curious why a couple of folks here and elsewhere on the internet have mentioned that the Browning BLR "kicks pretty hard" ... is this over a comparably weighted bolt gun or just in general because of their being lighter than many standard bolt guns? Any ideas on that?

  18. #18

    Default blr

    They have a straight stock and recoil isn't much in ftlbs compared to my 375hh but its real quick.
    They have a thick recoil pad but it has that twist when it goes. I think that this is more of a feel thing.
    The other two I mentioned seemed designed with more give in mind(model 88 and savage 99)

    They are a great sheep rifle but they are going to bark sharper than other 308s.

    Sincerely,
    Thomas

  19. #19

    Default how about....

    The .308 Winchester and some 168 grain Barnes X Tripple Shocks.

  20. #20
    Member 1Cor15:19's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dillingham, AK
    Posts
    2,482

    Default

    I have a BLR in 358 and can't say that the recoil is stiffer than a comparable weight bolt gun, but it weighs just a couple ounces over 7 pounds, loaded and scoped. While some might disagree with me, I shoot some rifles with fairly heavy recoil, I have to include the 358 among them. It is not punishing, but it is uncomfortable. I do not think it the best first rifle for someone's first rifle. It is a great rifle for an experienced shooter, but not necessarily for the novice. I would choose a lighter recoiling rifle if weight is an issue. As for choosing a brake on rifle rmember that the muzzle blast will certainly increase and that may lead to flinching even though the felt recoil is reduced. Muzzle brakes are not for beginners either.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •