Thread: Tours/trips for new kayakers

Default Tours/trips for new kayakers

Hello Everyone-

Now that we are actually on the ground in Alaska, my wife and I are looking around for the best way to get some experince in sea kayaking. I read some of homerdave's good suggestions in another thread right now, and I was wondering what other options there are any place near Anchorage, not just Homer. Not that we don't necessarily want to go to Homer, we just might like some other options as well.

We would like some trips that will get us out there and start getting some skill with sea kayaking. We have some experience with canoes, but would like to get comfortable enough to be able to go out on our own in kayaks eventually.

Any recommendations in Seward/Whittier/Homer or elsewhere would be appreciated.

Thanks, Travis

Default Whittier

Whittier (Passage Canal) isn't a bad place to practice your chops. Go out of Smitty's Cove, or check in at the Marina office (costs about the same either way).
    If you are just starting out, just remember that the farther east you go along, the closer you get to being out in Prince William Sound, with all the wind and weather that entails. My buddy and I were having a perfectly innocuous paddle until we rounded the bluff heading in to Poe Bay, and then I got rolled twice by waves coming in from the Sound. Just be careful not to press too far. The tides are no joke, and if they are against you, you're gong to be working overtime. Keep a sharp eye out for boats going in and out of the harbor, and don't be near rocks when the Marine Highway fast ferry comes in or leaves. The wake off of that thing is epic!

There tend to be lots of critters along the shoreline across from Whittier, and you can get in a really great day paddle without ever losing sight of town. There's a couple of good guiding outfits in Whittier, and I'm sure they could get you hooked up really easily and give you a good idea of the gear and local knowledge you need to stay safe.
    Here's a link to a really useful document. I'm not promoting the folks whose website I got it from - it's just where I found the link: http://www.alaskaseakayakers.com/PWS-kayak-brochure.pdf

mailto:millerslanding@alaska.com

Try this place. They have guides and then you can rent your own kayaks when you are confident about it. Ressurection bay is beautiful

Tom Pogson at Alaska Kayak School is excellent for lessons and knowledge. A good place to start. www.alaskakayakschool.com.

good luck.

Thumbs up Culross Passage

Quote Originally Posted by HiPlainsDrifter View Post
    Hello Everyone-

Now that we are actually on the ground in Alaska, my wife and I are looking around for the best way to get some experince in sea kayaking. I read some of homerdave's good suggestions in another thread right now, and I was wondering what other options there are any place near Anchorage, not just Homer. Not that we don't necessarily want to go to Homer, we just might like some other options as well.

We would like some trips that will get us out there and start getting some skill with sea kayaking. We have some experience with canoes, but would like to get comfortable enough to be able to go out on our own in kayaks eventually.

Any recommendations in Seward/Whittier/Homer or elsewhere would be appreciated.

Thanks, Travis
    My #1 recommendation for an unguided starter location would be a water taxi out of Wittier in Prince William Sound to to just inside the north entrance of Culross Passage. These are very protected waters with many intricacies and bays to explore plus some good/easy to find camping at the south end.

As a bonus you can embark on more intermediate to advancing your skills by circumnavigating Culross Island (exploring protected bays or duckin into them if seas get sketchy) on the east side, then ending back at your put in.

I have the GPS Waypoints Guide to this particular trip based on guiding it for folks looking to do this same type float plan with similar experience levels.

Couple things to consider:

Dry land lessons to on water practical training - we offer this service.

Equipment rental and/or getting the right stuff - we offer this service.

A guided trip to get you familiar - we are 'connected' and can point your compass in good directions statewide.

Welcome to Alaska & a super nice summer so far -

Thanks a lot for everyone's help. We tried one trip in Resurrection Bay, and the weather was a little rough. We had that trip cut short. We are going to try out Whittier, hopefully pretty soon.

Thanks again for recommendations, this is great information!