Thread: video of hunter shooting rifle w/ plugged barrel

Default video of hunter shooting rifle w/ plugged barrel

I found this online and thought it was pretty interesting http://www.break.com/index/blocked-r...fter-shot.html
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Another vivid example of why one should always use a muzzle condom or tape to prevent that or worse. Not to mention checking the barrel for obstructions each time the firearm is handled.

He is very fortunate he nor anyone else was injured.

Agreed.

You can see it was raining. If they were walking in the trees while it was raining, prolly got some water in the barrel. Looks like it was a Browning.

Can you believe the stoopid elk was still bugling in the distance?
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Not to start an argument but I kind of doubt that a little rain water did that. First the rifle was held barrel down at the beginning of the video, then as a round was chambered it was held barrel up. This should have allowed the any small amount of water to escape. A few drops of water will not cause problems. The barrels I have seen that had water or mud in them on firing had an expanded area an inch or so long, they did not split. If the water was out at the mussel then the barrel should have been ringed, due to the dynamic pressure created by accelerating the water. If the water where back against the bullet and there was a lot of it then there should have been excessive chamber pressure. The pictures I have seen of excessive chamber pressure failures looked nothing like this.

I would suspect some kind of defect in the barrel steel, and or fluting that was too deep. A few drops of water may have contributed to this blow up but I do not think they are the root cause.

No the barrel had some kind of a brass colored device in the muzzle and you could see it leave the barrel after the shot.

The guys actions wreaked of incompetance. He couldn't cycle the bolt, he couldn't shoulder the gun smoothly amd his shooting stick was awkward and foreign to him, I'm not surprized he left something in the barrel.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I to see something dark colored that flies off to the right and down in the slow motion. I assumed it was a piece of the stock. The resolution is so bad that I could not see more. I agree that the shooter did not seem to know this rifle. They seemed to have a hard time getting the bolt to turn down. I really wish people would post these videos in better resolution with some text with details.

Default Well, it's a good thing...

he didn't pay $189,000 for that rifle, otherwise, he'd have some 'splainin' to do to the missus...

That's gotta be pretty scary!

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    No the barrel had some kind of a brass colored device in the muzzle and you could see it leave the barrel after the shot.

The guys actions wreaked of incompetance. He couldn't cycle the bolt, he couldn't shoulder the gun smoothly amd his shooting stick was awkward and foreign to him, I'm not surprized he left something in the barrel.
    Ditto that. maybe just me, but it sure seemed like there was some buck fever happening there.
    Probably useless to speculate, could be anything. Handloads gone wrong??

Oh my!!! incompetent or not, I'm glad to see they were all in one piece.

I had a simple 22 mag (96/22 ruger) blow up at the action from a double charged round (found out later that lot was recalled)....couldn't hear for two days....I always said I couldn't imagine what a real round would do if something went wrong...that video made me shudder...I'm glad to have no eye injuries... and my hearing back to normal (took about 5 months).

Any chance that someone left a cleaning jag in the barrel?

Interesting to say the least. Some of the early stainless barrels had a few problems. I think it was with Tikka rifles. That is an odd place in the barrel for an obstruction. Most often its in the last 6" of the barrel but not always

Default i THINK IT WAS A

I think he left the laser bore sighting gizmo in the bore when he fired it !?
    Little bullets might expand ! But big bullets never shrink !
    When you swim with big fish try not to act like bait !

Just use a piece of black electricians tape over the muzzle, and that won't happen to you. Carry a roll in your pocket with you hunting. (make sure the gun is unloaded when you apply it)

Marshall/Ak

I saw this video in another forum a few months ago. Some of the guys there think it was photoshopped. If you look at it, it is not at all natural. There is little to no recoil, he drops the butt slightly, and actually tosses it forward after about a half second. If you look close, you can see where it might be seemed when it is "fired".

In any case, I always tape my muzzle.

-MR

Probably wouldn't be much if any recoil, as all the energy has been used splitting open the barrel like a banana
    He!!uva way to reduce reoil eh?
    I like the boresighter theory myself.