Thread: Sure-thing Grayling

Default Sure-thing Grayling

Hey All,

Well, I just drug my wife around 500 miles just to get skunked in numerous ways. Does anyone have any suggestions were we might head to ensure she gets a grayling on her new 4 wt? We're out of Eagle River and have a float tube, and record-setting isn't an issue. I thought I saw some promising lakes around miles 80-120 or so on the Glenn.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thumbs up

I prefer creeks over lakes for grayling. The upper portion of Willow (and most of the other Parks Hwy streams) hold decent grayling. Also, the streams along the Denali hwy (from Cantwell to Paxon) have some great grayling fishing with large fish.

If you have 4-wheelers, take a trip out of Eureka and fish the streams you come across. Even the small streams have fish and it is a great ride to boot.

Fish the eddys behind large rocks in the swift water and you will usually find them. Dry flys (mosquitos, adams, brown/gray hackle peacocks, etc...) work well as do small wooly buggers and black ants.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Awesome. I haven't made that drive yet, but that sounds like a perfect excuse. It sounds like the drive is worth it on its own, even better if there are willing fish.

We're still working on getting the AK essentials, so no four-wheelers or ORVs of any sort yet. Probably at least a year or four on that left. First there's a boat or raft or canoe and a win mag and, well, too many things to think about.

Default Grayling

Mike,

If you don't mind a good hike, Cresent lake down on the Kenai Penn. would be a good bet. I'm not sure but I think it opens for fishing in July, after the spawn, but check the regs. Since your in Eagle River, have you tried Symphony Lake? Might still be frozen, but I would guess that after ice out would be real good fishing.

After looking at the regs, it appears Cresent lake is closed til 1 July. Still a beautiful lake and some sure fire grayling fishing though...well worth the hike.

Hope this helps,

Marc
    Last edited by FrozenMarc; 06-08-2009 at 21:12. Reason: Add. info
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright

Default Sure thing grayling pic!

My 6 year old caught the big one on a 3wt, two weeks ago. It was on an un-named lake near Hatchett Lake. It was nearly every cast fishing! Hope the picture sizes right.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4542_1108657369500_1618820880_299197_8029435_n.jpg  
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by michigan_mike View Post
    Hey All,

Well, I just drug my wife around 500 miles just to get skunked in numerous ways. Does anyone have any suggestions were we might head to ensure she gets a grayling on her new 4 wt? We're out of Eagle River and have a float tube, and record-setting isn't an issue. I thought I saw some promising lakes around miles 80-120 or so on the Glenn.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Canoe Lake in Palmer has good grayling fishing.

We'll be heaing to Crescent Lake in August. I think we'll hit Symphony this weekend or next, and the Denali Highway this week or next.

Thanks for the tips. I'm finding the problem with getting oriented here is that this place is just too big with too much to do. Fishing, pick a spot... you only have 10,000 or so spots to choose from. These forums are definitely a help.

i go to canoe in the afternoons and slam em.. easy to pull a 20+ fish night..

Is Canoe bank or tube friendly? Or do you need a, um, canoe?

Thanks.

You will definitely need some sort of conveyance to get you to the power lines since much of the lake is surrounded by private property. You can bank fish some of it, but your success rate will increase greatly if you can travel on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by michigan_mike View Post
    Is Canoe bank or tube friendly? Or do you need a, um, canoe?

Thanks.
    ya i have a tube. its almost to easy with a tube.

well if you make it up to fairbanks I can show you a garuntee...well it's fishing ok, so there isnt such a thing, but this might be as close to going to the market as they come (mind you, you cant keep any lol). Some big fish this year!!!! Havent fished it in a number of years due to guiding, so far my two trips this year have proven quite successfull.