Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blow Hole in Seward

Question Blow Hole in Seward

I was in PWS this weekend, but heard things got a little windy in Seward over Satuday. Any stories out there? It's got a little gusty in the Sound on Saturday evening, but nothing serious. Hard to believe with sunny skies, it would get so windy, huh?
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Yea, it got a little gusty out in the sound this weekend. We went hiking in West Twin bay, around 5 headed out to pick shrimp pots and turned back by 5 foot rollers spaced like what seemed 10 foot apart- nasty stuff. Tide was going out and wind driven westerly’s blowing in, bad combination; I’ll listen to the wife next time when she suggests setting the pots in the lee because we weren’t able to pick them tell the following day.
    Small craft advisory in the channel must have kept a lot of boats from going out, not much action at the ramp Sunday afternoon.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Default I wondered how bad it got

We were anchored in 3 fingers on Satuday evening. We found a calm period around 9 pm to pick pots. The wind was whipping us around pretty good in the cove. I can 't imagine it was much fun in Port Wells or the Canal. Go figure.
    how to act in public

Default Hit by charter boat!

Sunday in the harbor our boat was ran into by the captain of Honey Bee Charters. Wind was kicking his boat around pretty good in the ramp area and he smacked into us. Damaged our windows on the Starboard side unfortunately.
    Coming around Port Wells was pretty choppy around noon heading back up the Bay to Whittier.
    BK

Default Timing matters, I guess

I was just telling someone how calm it was everywhere in the sound all weekend. I guess I was just in the right place at the right time. Got a late start out and didn't leave the docks until around 9pm on Friday, but we were in Jackpot bay by 11pm, and there was only one section near Chenega where I saw any noticable chop. Stayed down south by Latouch and Knight Saturday, and even stayed in Mummy bay rafted where it was not very protected with no concequences Saturday night. Sunday we pulled pots and came back on the east side of Knight since it was so flat. Back to the docks for the 7pm tunnel with only a foot or two of chop between Perry and Culross islands. Other than that it was great for us everywhere.

Jim

I was in Thumb Cove in Resurrection Bay Saturday night and the wind was really blowin!! We were staying onshore, and I could not get the boat anchored securely near our cabin--had to reset anchor twice then gave up and took it way up into the cove where there was alittle more protection, but I couldn't check on it easily from the cabin. Found good mud to anchor in up there. The wind was really acting crazy in there--williwaws, I guess. Predominant direction was out of the North, but it was hitting the walls in Thumb Cove and swirlling around to south and west winds out where I was first anchored. Resurrection Bay itself was solid whitecaps from Thursday afternoon till Sunday afternoon--nowhere to comfortably go hide and fish, so we just hiked and kayaked in Thumb.

I was really amazed how windy it was in Three Fingers, even in the southern finger in the canyon it was incredibly gusty. The little hiden corners were not even calm, the place we always hide had a boat already in it doing circles! It really sucks having a giant oversized anchor to lift all summer, but then its the "hero hook" on that one fateful trip of the summer making it all worth while having.

Talking You da man

Quote Originally Posted by Myers View Post
    It really sucks having a giant oversized anchor to lift all summer, but then its the "hero hook" on that one fateful trip of the summer making it all worth while having.
    Yes Myers, our grandchildren will tell stories of the one who anchored with a big block chevy. He's the reason we're all here now. LOL. Yes, your mooring ability is par none. I'll raft to you any day.
    how to act in public

Went out Sunday afternoon. Was worried about the small craft advisory, and was ready to spend time fishing from the shore, but it turned out to be a very nice day, a little windy and had fun jumping waves outside the bay in my rib. Coming back was choppy, but nothing bad.

Default Windy?

The reason the ramp was empty on Sunday is a PSYCO coast guard auxilary person was telling everyone that it was ROUGH for 10 miles. I assured the CGA that the nice weather wind in Passage Canal would only be until Trinity then perhaps pick up at Decision, then die altogether. She wouldn't even listen to the CGA boat (Dock Knocker...and it lives up to its name as it smashed right into my boat at the dock) that came in while we were heading out. I feel real sorry for the folks who listened to her, reloaded their boats and left. IT WAS FANTASTIC and smooth as glass out there. I postponed my trip until Sunday because as weather moves in, the wind can get snappy until the weather settles in and calms down. PWS is like a big bathtub and what is stirred up the day before, can take part of a day to calm. If it is windy in the harbor, use the boats in slips for wind protection, keep your speed up a bit to compensate, AND DON'T SMASH INTO MY BOAT!!! As far as the CGA crying wolf, some folks will NEVER heed their warning after Sunday. I think they do a noble thing but they wouldn't even give me a courtesy exam because of the wind. They need to screen who is in CGA a bit better and stop trying to use scare tactics to stop folks from using their own judgement. 22nd year in PWS...the CGA scare tactic person 2 years.

AKSNOMO,

You got hit at the docks? Me too! If it makes you feel any better, I went 1000 miles without a scratch and the FIRST TIME I launched my new boat in Whittier, I get hit. I got the call from my wife while walking back from parking the truck -- I didn't even get a chance to start the motor. It was someone trying to motor up close between the two inside ramps with wind and not enough room or skill to make it through.

It was a North River, and was gone by the time I got there. I don;t know what you can do about something like this other than yell at the guy, and then I probabily look like as big of a jerk as he does. Seems like this is a more egregious act than pulling a few shrimp pots. Can we start shooting at North Rivers along with the the Kingfishers? [Authors note - extreme sarcasm intended]

Jim

Default Narrow with two parked on the sides.

The new ramp has already shown it's weakness, it's exactly the width for a boat to fit in the middle of two other boats on each side, but that's it. Everytime so far this season I am on the ramp, coming or going, someone is always pushing through the middle. Each time someone is passing by me I immediately go into help mode to keep boats from touching, it's the only way to keep collisions down, their not going to wait so might as well help them get gone! I have come and gone a few times this season and only once was it breezy, I can only imagine what the stories will be when it's really blowing and very crowded, should be very entertaining!

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    AKSNOMO,

You got hit at the docks? Me too! If it makes you feel any better, I went 1000 miles without a scratch and the FIRST TIME I launched my new boat in Whittier, I get hit. I got the call from my wife while walking back from parking the truck -- I didn't even get a chance to start the motor. It was someone trying to motor up close between the two inside ramps with wind and not enough room or skill to make it through.

It was a North River, and was gone by the time I got there. I don;t know what you can do about something like this other than yell at the guy, and then I probabily look like as big of a jerk as he does. Seems like this is a more egregious act than pulling a few shrimp pots. Can we start shooting at North Rivers along with the the Kingfishers? [Authors note - extreme sarcasm intended]

Jim
    Just be glad you own an alloy boat!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I think they do a noble thing but they wouldn't even give me a courtesy exam because of the wind. They need to screen who is in CGA a bit better and stop trying to use scare tactics to stop folks from using their own judgement. QUOTE]

As a member I agree with this statement but unfortunatly being a volunteer organization and part of the feds there is nothing we can do and like all other things one or two bad eggs makes the rest of us look bad.

I've not had to hold position in that harbor in the wind while waiting for a launch dock spot to open, so I can't comment to that. Challenging, I'm sure. I plan to have bumpers deployed, a person on the bow, and another in the cockpit, and a handy boat hook to deal with possible bumper boats and such. It's life.

As for the dock, unless some sort of rule is enforced with regard to order of boats launching and loading, and until everyone jogs back from the parking lot like some do, there will be creative boat handling at the launch dock. If I have sufficient manpower on board and you are still waiting for your driver to return from the parking lot, I will hand-pass my boat around yours without damaging it, and you should make an effort to help.

If novice boat dockers concern you, put out some frigging bumpers, put on your big kid underwear, get your boat hook handy, and deal with it. Help the situation. Don't sit on the dock or in the boat cabin like a shrew and stew while someone tries to maneuver around you on a windy day. Get out the boat hook, lend a frigging hand and make everybody's day better. Some folks have kids on board for a crew and need help. Help them.

If you don't make the tunnel due to some new boater with his wife and three kids taking more than 5 minutes to load a boat, don't yell at the dad. You're not accomplishing much. Relax, and go to the burger joint at the end of the loop road and enjoy one of their good burgers for relatively little money (less than $10 for a big hairy burger).

These comments based on actual observations over the past half dozen trips. Some people are real pieces of work.

Vek,

Good points

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Vek,

I am one of those guys with a wife and three girls. When the boat gets hit, it is not my wife's fault, her primary job is to keep the kids safe until I get back. We do get a lot of help at the docks, and it is greatly appreciated. By the way, I did put fenders out on the outside of the boat, but they don't do much good when someone goes by under power and their downriggers drags the length of my boat.

As Pete says, I guess I made a good decision buying alloy. The marks are fading already. And yes, I do run to and from the parking. Last time I got in such a rush that when I got back my wife's first question was 'where's the dog?' She was still in the kennel in the back of the truck, so I had to run it another round trip.

Anyway, thanks for all the help at the dock from everyone. I like Whittier better, but I am about ready to just leave my boat in my slip in Whittier and avoud the boat launch hassle.

Jim

Jim,

I wasn't in any way criticizing you, rather stating that it's the responsibility of everyone at that launch (or any launch) to help out as they can. Some situations you can't win for trying, as you found out. My rant is aimed toward the critical do-nothings who sit and allow [I]preventable[I] things to happen, or the "helpful" guy yelling out valid loading advice with zero tact in front of the struggling new boat owner's wife and kids, or what have you. Sounds like you're not part of the problem.

-Jerry

Jerry,

I should have said that I agree with everything in your post. I just try my hardest to be more of the solution than the problem, although some may disagree with that.

An easy reality TV show would be to set up cameras around the country at boat launches and just edit down the content.

Jim

Default Vet,

You made valid points that I also fully agree with.
    However, the charter boat that hit us was broadside to us. The wind along w/the lack of room caused him to smack our window on the starboard side with his bow as he was trying to turn his boat around at the dock in front of us. I had already advised the charter boat that we could hand line our boat past him, no problem.
    He decided against this and lost contol of his boat. There were four of us (my crew) that desperately tried to fend his boat off as it was obvious what was going to happen with the wind kicking his butt. We were in position as he began his attempt.
    His 30'+ boat weighed more than we could effectively handle and it collided with ours. It wasn't lack of trying or preperation on our part. It was the charter captains bad decision.
    I also told everyone aboard that we will try to keep him off of us BUT it is NOT worth getting a finger or foot pinched off in doing so. The boat is repairable, but a missing finger or limb is not.
    After all was said and done the charter outfit is repairing the damage and apologized. No worries and everyone made it home safely.
    BK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast