Thread: Info on flying into Lake Creek?

Default Info on flying into Lake Creek?

Before I start making phone calls, I was wondering if any of you had info on flying into Lake Creek. We will be leaving at the end of July/beginning of August and traveling light- two people, a raft, fishing, and camping gear (less than 900lbs).

Is it cheaper to fly into Chelatna Lake from Willow or Talkeetna than Lake Hood?
    Does anyone have any recommendations on who to fly with?

Thanks,
    Josh

Default Trail Ridge Air

I'd give the folks at Trail Ridge Air a call; they've always done a good job, and their rates are reasonable.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thumbs up cheaper`

...or call Willow Air, in Willow AK.
    Look at a map and you can clearly see that a 40 mile drive from Anch to Willow will save you air time and air dollars.

Dennis

Dennis, shouldn't that read closer to 70 miles? I'd be surprised if it's not still worth it though.

Thumbs up 40/70

You are correct, sir. I raft slow but I drive fast. Seems closer. The shorter flight time from Willow really was cheaper when I priced it out and did it in '07. I used 5 or 6 gallons of gas, saved $400.00, or something like that.

Dennis

Default More info-

Here are some other considerations, but first the mileage issue:

DRIVE TO WILLOW - FLY IN

It is approximately 66 miles from Willow Air's dock to Chelatna Lake, and roughly 30 miles from Riversong Bar (the mouth of Lake Creek) back to Willow Air's dock in Willow. So the round trip is 96 miles.

The drive to Willow is about two hours, one way. I used to do a lot of flying out of Willow, and the drive TO Willow was fine; excitement was high, it made the time pass faster. It's the drive HOME from Willow that always seemed like the killer. You're tired and you just want to go home...

FLY OUT OF ANCHORAGE

It is about 99 air miles from Trail Ridge Air's dock on Lake Hood to Chelatna Lake, and just over 53 air miles from Riversong Bar back to Lake Hood. The round trip is 152 miles. So, the difference between the two routes, in terms of air miles, is only about 56 miles.

THE DIFFERENCE

But the big difference is convenience. It is probably "cheaper" to fly out of Willow, but you have to drive up, which is going to cost gas and time, both ways. If you're flying up from Outside, you'll have to rent a car for the drive up, which will sit there until you fly back to collect it (another expense). If you go out of Anchorage, and are locally connected, someone can just drop you off at Trail Ridge and pick you up when you get back. If you're coming in from Outside, most local hotels can shuttle you right to the dock at Lake Hood. If you're renting your rafting gear, Alaska Raft and Kayak will drop it right there at Trail Ridge for you, and they'll pick it up there at the end of the trip.

But the best thing about it is that Jim and his wife (the folks who own Trail Ridge) are some of the best in the business. So if you're looking to develop connections with folks who can work with you on a fall hunt some day, you'll look long and hard before you'd do better. They've been there for years, they know the landscape and they can make it happen for you. They're a class act. You can reach them in Anchorage at 1 (907) 248-0838 or by email AT THIS LINK.

OTHER RESOURCES

You may already have this part nailed, but just in case, you might check out THIS VIDEO; it's about Lake Creek, and includes a pretty good map of the area. Also, Karen Jettmar's Alaska River Guide has a writeup on it, as does my book, "Float Hunting Alaska's Wild Rivers".

Good luck on your trip! Lake Creek is very popular; I would consider packing out your human waste on that one. Campsite selection is limited through some sections and others who have... er... "gone" before you will likely not have been as careful.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

I checked earlier in the year with Willow Air. I was told about $1200 for a beaver on floats for the roundtrip (1200 lbs of people and gear). Of course this price could change either way, but it will give you a ballpark figure to work with.

Default Charter Cost

Okay, I just called both carriers and here's the deal on their charter rates:

Willow Air- Fly from Willow to Chelatna Lake to drop off, take out at Riversong Bar (mouth of Lake Creek) and back to Willow: $1155

Trail Ridge Air- Fly from Lake Hood (Anchorage) to Chelatna Lake drop off, take out at Riversong Bar and back to Anchorage: $1800.

Price difference: $645

Other costs to consider for Willow option:

• Car rental
    • Fuel
    • Time

Hope it helps!

-Mike

Mike (and others),

Thanks for the quick responses. This is a great site.

It is a pretty quick trip from my place to Willow, and I prefer not to drive in Anchorage if I can help it (that road construction is brutal). Rafting is an expensive lifestyle, so saving $645 is huge for me.

I could see how Lake Hood would be a better option for out of town people.

Thanks,
    Josh