Thread: Dog pads

Default Dog pads

I have a dog with a brittle, dry, cracked pad , quite sore in one area too. Vet suggests to put foot in watered down hibiscrub & sudacrem , i was putting on vaseline before but it wasn't helping. Do any of you mushers have a remedy for cracked, dry pads??

Mushers use a variety of foot ointments. Try the one that your vet recomends and put a bootie on dog. Good luck.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

kaviks pad is looking a bit better today , so the cream & foot wash must be doing a good job, cheers.

Default Bag Balm?

I don't run dogs but, my GSPs get dry cracked pads int the winter so they get a generous rub down with Bag Balm and that seems to help quite a bit. Better than Vaseline IMO.

I am finding the sudacrem cream is working better than the vaseline.

I hope their feet are getting better. I don't know about dogs feet, but we used bag balm for diaper rash on both our daughters (as well as for many other things)and found it to work much better than the more expensive stuff that is designed for diaper rash it would clear it up overnight in most cases. Bag balm is made for use with dairy cows with chapped udders it is like vasilene, but is medicated. While most stores here carry it it can be found at farm & home type stores.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    I hope their feet are getting better. I don't know about dogs feet, but we used bag balm for diaper rash on both our daughters (as well as for many other things)and found it to work much better than the more expensive stuff that is designed for diaper rash it would clear it up overnight in most cases. Bag balm is made for use with dairy cows with chapped udders it is like vasilene, but is medicated. While most stores here carry it it can be found at farm & home type stores.
    Thanx for the info, kaviks paw is getting better, cracks healing now, no open areas either. I am resting him & no running just walks for now, weather here too hot to run them anyway even early morning & late @ night.

Is Kavik up and runnung around now?
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    Is Kavik up and runnung around now?

Yes he is back to normal, pad completely healed, no cracks in it either. Thanx for asking after him, the dogs aren't getting much running in @ present as its in the high 20's (centigrade) so far too warm to run them, so just lazing about in the day for them & a walk very early am & late walk pm.