Thread: Fiddle heads and Spruce tip tea

Default Fiddle heads and Spruce tip tea

I went to Summit lake for some fishing this past weekend. The fishing wasn't so good, so I took a hike. I found quite a few fiddle heads, enough for 2 meals, and lots of spruce tips. We had the fiddle heads last night with grilled salmon and grilled vegies. We brushed a little olive oil on the fiddle heads and cooked them on the grill. I liked them this way and it is a nice change from sauteed in butter.

Then for an after dinner tea we steeped the spruce tips for about 5 minutes in hot water. It was mild in favor and quite good. The tea had a relaxing or calming effect. This was my first time for spruce tip tea and I will definatly do it again.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default real food

trout in onions, fiddleheads in olive oil with garlic, and grits.
    pour the fish pan on the grits when done frying instead of butter.
    opps,I might have given away the fact that I am no longer a midwesterner with the dang grits.
    Attached Images Attached Images

MMMMMM Grits. I didn't like the selection that they have here so I had a friend import some from Alabama for me. I do the same with White Lilly Flour. It makes the best biscuits. Last night I finished off the fiddle heads with some zucchini and spicy garlic sausage covered in munster cheese.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

Default Spruce tip syrup

Yea, the tea is great source of vit C.

Those spruce tips make a good syrup too. Bring to boil two cups of tips, two cups of honey or sugar of choice and two cups water. Let cool, strain out the tips and jar it.

Quote Originally Posted by Coaldust View Post
    Yea, the tea is great source of vit C.

Those spruce tips make a good syrup too. Bring to boil two cups of tips, two cups of honey or sugar of choice and two cups water. Let cool, strain out the tips and jar it.
    How long should I boil it for? Thanks

Default Spruce Tips

Garnede,

A minute or so at a boil works well before letting it cool down. You just don't want to go for too long or the tips fall apart which makes it difficult to strain all the small pieces out. This stuff goes good with with sourdough waffles and pancakes.