Thread: Black Bean chili or soup?

Originally Anchor Point, AK but in Kodiak now!

Default Black Bean chili or soup?

Anybody have any good recipes? I wanting to make some from dried beans. Thanks

soon to be back in Alaska

Default 3 bean soup

I have one for 3 bean soup. It works well from cans or dried. If using dried beans just soak enough to make about 3/4 pound of wet beans beforehand.

1 pound hamburger
    1 can black beans
    1 can kidney beans
    1 can pinto beans
    1 packet of fajita seasoning mix
    1 packet of ranch dressing mix
    1 can of sliced mushrooms (If you have fresh just slise them up and add in the last 10 minutes of cooking)
    1 small to medium onion
    1 can of diced tomatoes with green chillies

If starting with dry beans cook them till almost done or combine all of the cans of beans, with juice, into a medium pot. Bring to a slow boil, add browned hamburger or game meat if you have it. Add onion diced coarsely. add packet of fajita seasoning and ranch seasoning. If a more soupy mix is desired add water till the desired consistancy is obtained. Simmer for 15 minutes. Then add canned tomatoes and mushrooms. For spicier taste add an additional can of diced green chillies. Remove from heat and serve.

Goes well with cornbread, pickled beats, green onion or a slice of onion, and greens.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

1 pound ground moose (or any kind of ground meat)
    1 onion diced
    1 green bell pepper diced
    1 red bell pepper diced
    2-3 cloves of garlic diced
    1 can of Salsa (i usually get the stuff in the plastic tubs at freds)
    2 cans black beans
    1 can black re-fried beans
    1 can beef stock
    salt and pepper to taste

Brown the moose meat, add onions and garlic. When onions are soft, add bell peppers. Add in about half the beef broth when the peppers are cooked, let it simmer for 5 minutes, then add the rest. Add black beans and salsa. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Add in the re-fried beans. let simmer for 20 minutes, serve with chips and queso dip.

Default soaking the Black Beans

an old camp cook told me to soak my beans overnight in a water bath with fresh cilantro. It gives them a great flavor for chili or rice and beans.