Thread: Carpenter Ants in the Garden?

Default Carpenter Ants in the Garden?

Anyone know how to effectively rid the garden of carpenter ants??

Is there dead/old wood on the ground nearby...an old woodpile or something? That's usually what they want.

No, this is actually in a pretty cleared away, away from any trees or wood by a significant distance which is why it is odd that they are there....

When I lived down states I would mix sugar water with borax in soda pop caps. Red ants and black ants would literally line the edge filling up on their sweet poison. But it's pretty bad stuff in case your dog or little kid drinks it...

I too have carpenter ants. I thought of trying the sugar water trick but don't need borax for anything else. For some reason, I am a big fan of Diatomaceous Earth. I do have a big bag of that. I am going lay little piles of it around the garden. I have only used the stuff on my house plants, so I hope it works. In the meantime I just squish every carpenter ant I see.

Hmmm......interesting treat. lol

We used to use instant grits on the ants down south...the ants would eat the grits, which would then swell in their stomachs and kill them. Great way to get rid of the colony, using chemicals and such got some of them but not all and they would just move their ant beds to a different location where the nightmare would start all over again.

I have also heard of surrounding the ant bed (mound/hill) with crushed chalk, supposedly the ants will not cross it. Never tried it as the grit method worked so well, but alot of folks used it often.

Just not sure if little tricks like this would work or not on these ants here in AK

What's wrong with carpenter ants in the garden? Aren't they there hunting/foraging for bugs to take back to the colony as food. I would assume they are somewhat of a pest control means much like spiders. However, you do not want them in or anywhere near your home. There are slow acting chemicals out now that the ants can't detect and therefore can't avoid. Unknowningly they carry it back to the nest with them. There they feed the queen, larvae, and the other workers. The nest gets erradicated and does not relocate. Good luck.

I noticed that the carpenter ants in my garden are a big attractant for robins and junkos. The birds really like them.