Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Fishing along the ALCAN?

  1. #1
    Member Hayduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Meadow Lakes
    Posts
    504

    Default Fishing along the ALCAN?

    My wife and I are moving to Anch in early July. I was curious if anybody ever takes time to fish along the ALCAN. I would really like to be able to chuck a few flies in the afternoon after long days of driving. If anyone has some tips for me I would appreciate it.

  2. #2

    Default

    You'll be passing through primetime around Glennallen, but by then you'll be so close to your destination you won't want to stop. Once you hit that general area you'll only be four hours or so from Anchorage.

    But as a general consideration, remember you'll be travelling through Canada and will probably need a different license for each "state."

  3. #3

    Default

    While I have never fished along the Alaska Highway. I have driven it 5 times. There are some nice looking rivers that you drive by. I would suggest getting a copy of the Milepost. It is a very detailed book of maps of all the roads leading to, and including Alaska. It will also tell you the name of every river you cross and if there is fish in it. And where every campground is. And, well just about everything you need to know about the drive. Very well worth the money.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by michigan_mike View Post
    You'll be passing through primetime around Glennallen, but by then you'll be so close to your destination you won't want to stop. Once you hit that general area you'll only be four hours or so from Anchorage.

    But as a general consideration, remember you'll be travelling through Canada and will probably need a different license for each "state."
    I'd like to hear about the prime fishing opportunities around Glenallen. I didn't know there were any.

  5. #5
    Member Phish Finder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Searching for more cowbell!
    Posts
    1,945

    Default

    I didn't start fishing until I hit the Yukon territory for the first time. Then, I fished almost every stream that I crossed. There is wonderful grayling and they are plentiful. I picked up a few nice bows from a lake behind a hotel/truckstop/gas station/restaurant. The owner loaned me a canoe and even tied up some flies for me to use in the little lake. What a great time.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

    "People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default lakes near Glenallen

    Quote Originally Posted by OATS View Post
    I'd like to hear about the prime fishing opportunities around Glenallen. I didn't know there were any.
    Go North from the Glenn on this road (which is close to Glenallen):
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.077248&z=14

    During the next 15 miles there are a ton of small lakes that you can see from the (asphalt) road & are stocked by F&G; read the regs to see which type of fish they put in each water and take your pick.

    Also as the elevation rises, glance behind you and to your left for beautiful views of the huge Tazlina lake, many miles away.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    valdez
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Drive the Cassiar and you are in some of the best Steelhead country in the world.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Go North from the Glenn on this road (which is close to Glenallen):
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.077248&z=14

    During the next 15 miles there are a ton of small lakes that you can see from the (asphalt) road & are stocked by F&G; read the regs to see which type of fish they put in each water and take your pick.

    Also as the elevation rises, glance behind you and to your left for beautiful views of the huge Tazlina lake, many miles away.
    Those lakes have not been stocked for several years. They won't be stocked again until the new hatchery in Fairbanks is completed.

    ADF&G doesn't even include them in their fishing report any more.

  9. #9
    Moderator Paul H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    5,594

    Default

    There is the Gulkana River for King and Red salmon. Just keep an eye on the emergency orders for limits and possible closures.

    http://www.sf.adfg.state.ak.us/state...203%2DInterior

  10. #10

    Default Alcan

    I just arrived back in Anchorage after a trip up. We took the Cassiar route from Seattle area. We hit probably 40-50 miles of rough gravel on the Cassiar, but it was worse after Whitehorse. Oh my. The dust, wettened by rain, then dusted on again, then wet again, formed a concrete on everything. I hit it with a hose and nothing happened.

    Anyhow. Because of the rough roads, including the gravel and frost heaves, not much fishing. I had fam with motor home and pulling a drift boat. I had a tarp on the drifter on top of having the whole boat shrink wrapped. Even with that it is full of sand and grit. I have no clue how it got in. A surprise to find it after taking the cover off and cutting off the shrink wrap.

    A lot of places to pull off. BC requires anglers to register, and then you can buy a license on line. Yukon, I don't know. It is my understanding that fines are in the $1000 range for no license or fishing wrong. Seemed like a lot of issue for little benefit. It takes me long enough to understand the AK regs and I know the places. I can't imagine reading regs and don't know any place they're talking about...

    Best of luck to you. The gas prices continue to rise. Whitehorse is a great town. Maybe that would be a great place to lay up and fish.

  11. #11

    Thumbs up

    Take the "short cut" from Jakes Corner to Carcross. Fish the Tagish river and lakes when you get there. HUGE Lake Trout and Pike. Lots of them. You can rent a boat for a few hours or a day, but most people fish from the bridge or shore. It is the best fishing I have found along the trip.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  12. #12
    Member 6XLeech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    2,162

    Default Fishing Canada...

    The Milepost is an excellent suggestion. My daughter and I fished a few days driving up through Canada. Most spots we found light spin gear would be easier -- didn't happen to stop anywhere that was wadable or easy to fly cast. Light spin lures available locally. The rivers were big and deep enough that water entry wasn't an option. Found a few small trout though.

    Plan for bugs. Seems like once we hit the Yukon and beyond, mosquitos were numerous and aggressive. Bring headnets, bug spray, etc. Have a great trip.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,031

    Default license

    How easy/hard or expensive/cheap is it for US citizens to get a short term Canadian fishing license?

  14. #14

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    How easy/hard or expensive/cheap is it for US citizens to get a short term Canadian fishing license?
    Sometimes it's easy and sometimes it's hard. Just like Alaska. Get your license in the bigger cities and it is easy. Wait to try and find one along the rural areas, not so easy. But you have to buy a license for each Provience you wish to fish in, e.g. Yukon, BC, etc. And...you better look at the map, cause sometimes you ain't where you think you might be. :0 Price is irrelevant, cause any price you pay for good fishin' is worth every penny.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  15. #15
    Member jakec5253's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    381

    Default so true

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Price is irrelevant, cause any price you pay for good fishin' is worth every penny.
    Those there are some words to live by!!


    Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    fairbanks
    Posts
    135

    Default

    I believe there are some rivers in BC that require their own permit on top of the state license. Find out early and don't get made an example of.

  17. #17
    stimpy
    Guest

    Default

    I caught some outstanding grayling right under the Alaska Highway Bridge in the Liard River. I was using a broken rod/reel with a bumblebee I stepped on in clover on a single hook. As soon as the bee hit the water just a couple of feet out from shore it would be hit. Lots of them. 18" average.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •