Thread: Should I bring up my duck and goose stuff?

Default Should I bring up my duck and goose stuff?

Hi all,

My wife and I are moving to Anch. in July. My question is should I worry about moving all of my duck and goose stuff? I think I will defiantly throw in the duck dekes. I am more curious about all of my full body goose dekes and layout blinds. Do you think they will come in handy. I know there is waterfowling on the penninsula but don't have the foggiest as to how you guys hunt it. The only reason I am asking is that I have very little room to bring stuff up and need to only worry about the things I will truly need.

If you really enjoy waterfowl hunting and don't want to buy new stuff, bring it. Of course for a move other items have priority, but remember, you can always sell your stuff at your current home and order from Cabela's or where ever else. Sportsman's Warehouse has stuff, but I can't justify driving all that way to just to buy decoys, but if you're in Anchorage, it shouldn't be a big deal. I'm not sure what their price for dekes is either. I believe they carry mostly GHG brand. The main issue up here is getting to the spots. 4-wheeler (atv) or boat really opens up areas to get birds. I've never hunted ducks up in the "valley" but down here in Homer, I can have all the decoys and gear, but if I don't have a 4-wheeler or a boat, I'm not hunting.

no room you say...... leave the wife!!!! haha no duck hunting here is awesome I would want it....
    God Created Man Samuel Colt Made Them Equal

In the spots near Anchorage goose hunting is a one to two week event that takes a lot of effort for the chance at some birds if they happen to fly near. There are no fields to set up in near town. There are some fields near Big Lake but you need to know the flight patterns of the birds and get permission. From what one friend managed to accomplish out there it was a one flight hunt and they missed the 6 birds that came in and that was that for the rest of the day.

So bring a few floater goose decoys if you plan on hunting out on the Palmer Hay Flats, but most of the hunting around Anchorage is just ducks.

I recommend finding a MoMarsh DP or Fatboy or Aquapod down there and bringing that up here. That style of small marsh boat will pay for itself in one season up here.

Default Move?

I agree with AK Ray. Leave the full bodies, since the opportunity is limited. I have over 6 dozen full bodies that I brought up when I moved and have only used 2 dozen of them about 4 times on the flats/rivers up here. You will have better luck with floaters. I brought up 4 dozen of them and bought 2 more while up here..they will do you more good on the lakes and rivers up here for pass shooting.

Duck decoys are what you want to bring as you will have about 2 months max to use them up here before the ice sets. After that you might get a few more outings with them on rivers etc,,but that is it.

But you will have to get a boat up here or a 4wheeler as earlier stated. There are only a handfull of places to walk in and even with a buddy 2-4 dozen of duck decoys is all you will need.

It will cost you more to buy a smaller boat as mentioned and have it shipped up here..so take his advice and buy one down there and bring it...IT will pay big dividends when hunting the marshes up here.

If you ever find the need to use more full bodies while up here..just shoot me a PM. I will let you borrow mine.

The wife would take up less room and maybe provide you with more for a good Lab

Good luck

Default no

no on the goose deeks. I left 9 dozen with my brother when I moved. I should have brought 6 duck deeks - that is all you need, and most of the time that is 4 too many unless you are hunting skilak or salt birds.

You don't have to have a 4-wheeler or a boat to hunt ducks, it helps a ton, but we found lots of birds last year without them.....you get a bit sweaty and don't get the primo spots - but it can be done if you aren't scared of walking in knee deep mud that could suck you in.

Thanks for all of he help. As of now the plan is to leave the full bodies and layout blinds etc.... We should be able to use them on trips south anyways. I will be bringing a few dozen duck decoys. As far as boats go I have a couple I want to bring but don't have the room. I am hoping a family member will trailer one up later this summer. If not this summer I plan on buying a canoe when I get up there. I have had lots of luck canoe hunting so it seems like a good "economical" solution.

Default layouts

I wish that I had my layouts with me here. If you have a boat and hunt skilak or really anywhere with a boat they would be good to have.

If you are hiking in in the mud - I won't carry more than necessary - the mud here is very sticky.....and then the tide comes in - bad deal.