Thread: Fishing

Default Fishing

I've heard you can fish for Kings from the bank with Roe and a weight to keep the line on the bottom, but is it better to fish with roe under a bobber from the bank or is it better to fish bobbers from a boat? And if you would have a better chance with the bobber how far from under the water would the Roe hang? Thanks for the info.

Default Kinda vague questions...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbertha78 View Post
    I've heard you can fish for Kings from the bank with Roe and a weight to keep the line on the bottom, but is it better to fish with roe under a bobber from the bank or is it better to fish bobbers from a boat? And if you would have a better chance with the bobber how far from under the water would the Roe hang? Thanks for the info.

Really depends... Sometimes fishing eggs on the bottim is more effictive... Pesonally, once u master how to fish floats (bobbers are for can poles), you have alot more flexability at which to present you bait and can cover more water.... Hard to beat West Coast Floats for an all around float and use at least a 3/4 oz and preferably 1 oz-1 1/2 oz to keep you weight on the bottom off a dropper and then you can use a short leader as long as the water is turbid, if it is clear use a longer leader and no dropper.

If I was to fish with a Bobber how would the setup be. Starting at the Bobber going down to a weight then first hook with Roe and then last the second hook, from bobber to second hook 6 foot considering the water depth being 8 feet deep? Would this be a good setup for Kings or should I stay with what I have which is a triple swivel with a 1 oz weight and 2 hooks with top hook Roe and a spinner floating in between. (Cheater Special)?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbertha78 View Post
    If I was to fish with a Bobber how would the setup be. Starting at the Bobber going down to a weight then first hook with Roe and then last the second hook, from bobber to second hook 6 foot considering the water depth being 8 feet deep? Would this be a good setup for Kings or should I stay with what I have which is a triple swivel with a 1 oz weight and 2 hooks with top hook Roe and a spinner floating in between. (Cheater Special)?
    Here is how I would rig up for kings.
    You want 2-3' of leader and about 8-10' between your bobber stop and swivel. If the rig is hanging up on bottom too much slide the bobber stop closer to the swivel one foot at a time until it just stopp hanging up. If it is not hitting bottom at all move the bobber stop away from the swivel a foot at a time until it just starts contacting bottom. It is also good to put a small 3mm bead between the pencil lead and swivel to protect the knot.

Slip Float-----------pencil lead----barrel swivel---leader-----snelled hook/hooks

Get a copy of the May 2009 issue of "Fish Alaska" magazine. Andy Couch (local Matsu-Guide) wrote a good article all about using bobbers and fishing for Kings/Silvers with bait.

I've been fishing with Roe on the bottom of the river now for 2 seasons, and I can feel the Bites but for some reason I cannot hook on to one and reel it in, Am I slow on the pull or is it just not my luck. Some days it will be a little pull and yesterday was a big pull but nothing in the freezer yet! Any info would be much appreicated!

Sounds to me like your doing fine King fishing really. I went something like 100 hours last year before I landed my first King from the bank. Then suddenly ran into tons of Kings on Montana one night. I've usually found King fishing to be a patience type fishery. Lots of work for a bite or two if you are lucky.
    What kind of Hook you using? After losing fish of various types, I switched to Gamasuka (sp?) Or the better Owner ones. I still haven't settled on a top end hook, but have found then all to far outhook my old eagleclaw hooks. That is the only advice I can give you as you seem to be doing pretty much the same as I do usually.

In your other thread you asked what a King feels like? I would say once it's on it's a train. I'm always surprised at how intense a hookup it is. I fish pixies, and blue fox's mainly with new hooks, or corkies and yarn. Only caught one king soaking eggs........but I mainly put in time with other stuff so it's a bad comparison really as eggs seem to be the best thing as far as watching people catch fish.