Thread: fireforming?

Question fireforming?

What load do you recommend to fireform cases? Start with the low load data or would you even go lower? Or what percent below max would be wise...and effective? It looks like I've gotten myself into another project...don't want no moss growing under this hiney.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Quote Originally Posted by Maydog View Post
    What load do you recommend to fireform cases? Start with the low load data or would you even go lower? Or what percent below max would be wise...and effective? It looks like I've gotten myself into another project...don't want no moss growing under this hiney.
    What caliper?

Lightbulb

Hi Jim: I'll be fireforming standard 348 Win to 348 Ackley Improved.

Quote Originally Posted by Maydog View Post
    Hi Jim: I'll be fireforming standard 348 Win to 348 Ackley Improved.
    Load a standard load for the 348 and shoot it. Do not reduce it to some lower load. Any max or slightly under max load will fireform nicely. There is quite a bit of case room made in the 348 when going to the Ackley version. What rifle do you have this in, a model 71?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Talking

Hi Murphy: Thanks for the reply. I just purchased a .348 Ackley Improved barrel for the Win 71, so I'm going to swap barrels and put the original away. From a lot of info I've researched, the 348, along with the 30-30, 303, 30-40 and a few others make a huge gain by improving them. This seems to be especially true with the more tapered cases by straightening them and moving the shoulder forward. Do I need to do this? No, but I want to...most can understand that. Thanks.