Thread: Fur Grading???

Default Fur Grading???

What do fur buyers look for when grading fur animals pelts?
    I just got through with a couple foxes. One was flat greasy and the other dry. Don't know why. One older trapper told me that the inside of the dry one was too dark and not prime yet. Does skin pigment play a part in determining quality of pelt? Does skin pigment coloration play a part in hair coloration? Does a greasy pelt grade higher than a dry pelt? Lots to learn about pelts. I done my first marten today. What a job for such a small critter. I case skinned it and had trouble with the feet in the legs. Do others cut the legs lengthwise or just fight them the whole way?

Default Blue

If your pelt on the dry one was blue then it is not prime yet. A prime pelt will be more white than blue. As far as the fatty pelt goes, be sure you flesh all that fat off the pelt. Do you have a fleshing knife and beam? All the fox I get out here are incredibly fatty, they are that way whether they are prime pelts or not.

I'm currently meditating on if this place would be better off without me, so I can't comment.
    It's Nov 2nd. Are you in Alaska? You already caught 2 fox and a marten. COOL!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Like having you around

We need you to spice things up.

Plus, you snare deal was great. I'm going to buy some supplies tomorrow. Those look like they would work a lot better than the store bought ones.

Default Diversity

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    I'm currently meditating on if this place would be better off without me, so I can't comment.
    It's Nov 2nd. Are you in Alaska? You already caught 2 fox and a marten. COOL!
    I think that is what it is all about. If we all did things the same old way, we would only need one subject matter expert to bounce ideas or question off of. Anyway, if you choose to drop out, please post up the other forums that you frequent. I know the feeling of being ridiculed for our views, and my skin is much thicker now than it was before I began posting here. Some on here "DO" while others talk or write about it. Does not take long to figure out where each of us are coming from.
    Thanx

Alright, a vote to stay. Haha. Thanks Marty.
    Well I like those snares better than store boughts, but some guys prefer other types.
    I think my style would work on coyotes too, but you might want to go to 5/64th cable for some extra strength.
    I use a substantially different type of snares for wolverine and wolf.........tho I can't claim to be a real experienced wolf trapper/snarer. There's a few other guys I listen to when using snares for wolves, but they don't play here much.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!